1 or 2 watt fire resistant metal film resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The best amps I built used metal film resistors I bought from Dave West of West Amps. He died a few months ago and hasn't answered emails since atleast 2013.

I'm looking for another source of these resistors, atleast ones that meet their specifications. Do any of the DIY community know of a source for these or a source for similar ones that meet their specs? The bright red color was nice but not necessary. I need the basic part number if possible.

Thank you

AFAIK, Vishay PR01 and PR02 series resistors are not true flameproof (fusible) resistors, only the coating lacquer is non-flammable and I've already seen these bursting into flames when severly overloaded. Fusible resistors are the Vishay AC03 series (3 watts) but are wirewound types and not easily available in all common (E12) values and mainly used as mains surge protector devices. I'm still searching for good quality 1 and 2W film resistors which are really flameproof and simply opens without burning/damaging surrounding areas when overloaded.

Did either of you read that link?
if you find HV resistors on Ebay, they are most likely ordinary carbon or metal film types in disguise.
Use known and reliable outlets: RS, Farnell, Mouser to name a few.
Choose a known and reliable manufacturer: Vishay, Yageo, Philips, etc.
Here is the datasheet of the resistors I used:
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1511320.pdf
Other acceptable models include VR25 from Philips or Vishay for example
download the datasheet.

AFAIK, Vishay PR01 and PR02 series resistors are not true flameproof (fusible) resistors, only the coating lacquer is non-flammable and I've already seen these bursting into flames when severly overloaded. Fusible resistors are the Vishay AC03 series (3 watts) but are wirewound types and not easily available in all common (E12) values and mainly used as mains surge protector devices. I'm still searching for good quality 1 and 2W film resistors which are really flameproof and simply opens without burning/damaging surrounding areas when overloaded.

The Vishay datasheet describes them as having "Defined fusing characteristics" and includes lots of temperature rise, pulse rating and fusing characteristic graphs. Sure they will get hot and damage surrounding areas if subjected to high (sub interrupt point) power dissipation and not stood off the board, as will any other resistor, dissipation is dissipation. They need standing off the board if used near their maximum rating. Your design also needs to abide with the datasheet max interrupt limits. No way should they burst into flames.

I am not impressed with the prp datasheet linked from the Hifi Coll page.
Most of the data is missing !
Typical performance:
Read all 8, only two have a condition attached (1000hr -5lb pull), all the others are dataless. What conditions are the +-0.05%delta R related to?

Last edited:
Regardless of the vagueness of the spec sheet my builds with these resistors have all been successful. They operate with very little to no unwanted noise or artifacts. The leads are very long, about 2" on each side of the resistor. They are atleast as good as resistors costing 5x as much. I'd like to continue to use them. I have found some US retailers that sell these for .65 cents apiece. Much less in bulk.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.