Quality PCB components in general, brands etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm new to the sport, so as a general rule what are a few readily obtainable QUALITY brand names/manufactures of PCB components and are they classified in categories, audio grade for example, am I right in that the % is the tolorence held? In short if I buy Panasonic, Nichicon or brand X am I assured a decent product. Also RE: Thermal adhesive or grease what is used to adhere or promote heat transfer of components to heat sinks and are there recommended brands/and types if they differ? Thanks, Less

Without knowing the part or the application it's difficult to rate one brand over another. My intuition as well as experience tells me that the brands which have been around the longest - like Panasonic and Nichicon - are more likely to meet their published specifications (including tolerance) than recent entries - like Lelon or Yageo.

I don't have enough recent contact with power devices to say much about heat transfer between components and heatsinks. The only current examples I know of use a heat transfer pad rather than the Wakefield thermal compound that was common in the 1970's and 80's.

I'm new to the sport, so as a general rule what are a few readily obtainable QUALITY brand names/manufactures of PCB components and are they classified in categories, audio grade for example, am I right in that the % is the tolorence held? In short if I buy Panasonic, Nichicon or brand X am I assured a decent product.

Panasonic and Nichicon are first-tier component manufacturers that can be counted on to produce components that when properly applied, yield results that are more than good enough for most audio applications.

Brand X is mystery meat. Which brand x? Sold by whom? If its an unknown source, caveat emptor applies.

There are component suppliers, particularly of elecrtrolytic capacitors, whose product may not be actually as marked, or may have a short life if used within ratings.

Any component part may be pirated, remarked in unauthorized ways, or a grade out remarked as if it were a first rate product. Buying from a reputable dealer such as Mouser, Digikey, or Farnell can be a pretty good guarantee of a good part.

Also RE: Thermal adhesive or grease what is used to adhere or promote heat transfer of components to heat sinks and are there recommended brands/and types if they differ? Thanks, Less

Most white metal oxide/silicon thermal paste IME works equally well.

I'm new to the sport, so as a general rule what are a few readily obtainable QUALITY brand names/manufactures of PCB components and are they classified in categories, audio grade for example, am I right in that the % is the tolorence held? In short if I buy Panasonic, Nichicon or brand X am I assured a decent product. Also RE: Thermal adhesive or grease what is used to adhere or promote heat transfer of components to heat sinks and are there recommended brands/and types if they differ? Thanks, Less

You can find tests for thermal compounds by Tom's Hardware or the like if you want to try "fancy."

Avoid buying parts off Ebay unless you must. Digikey and Mouser have decent selection and prices and shipping.

In terms of electrolytic caps, Panasonic and Nichicon have good parts. Higher temp = longer durability. I like Cornel Dubelier for film caps in electronics. Vishay / Dale have very nice and relatively inexpensive metal film, low noise and low thermally sensitive resistors. I think that thermal sensitivity matters more than % tolerance. Depends on your circuit.

Best,

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.