eBay purchased NE5534s literally went up in smoke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, I have been working on a simple audio amplifier. I received my PCB just yesterday, and I assembled it right away. Upon power up, the op-amp literally blew up.

After checking the circuit, I concluded it was a faulty op-amp, as I couldn't find anything else. I did a simple power-up test on the remaining op-amps (NE5534) I had. Out of 4, 3 went up about the same way. I had nothing else but the op-amp on the breadboard.

I applied +-12v. And they all sparked, and smoked immediately after I turn the power on.

The 1/4 that didn't blow up is working fine on my amplifier board.

Has anyone had such experience from eBay parts? I am not sure if this can happen with parts from places like Digikey?

2dwg4z8.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
There are countless reports of problem parts from auction sites, such as fakes, out of spec devices etc etc.

Parts from recognised suppliers are guaranteed to be full spec devices, and I'd go so far as to say its pretty much unheard of for any such parts to have a problem.

Another unknown is the circuit you are using them in. Incorrectly designed power supplies can sometimes do unpredictable things at power on. 78/79 type supplies in particular often need 'steering diodes' added to ensure correct start up.

I know many people successfully shop on ebay, but as an operator of a commercial pro audio repair facility, I never buy such parts. ANy small savings in price are overcome by experiences such as yours. Suppliers like Mouser or Digikey have never let me down.

The surface of the DIP package looks suspicious …

My guess: They're fake. The forger(s) did not realise that the NE5534 is a single OP amp and used a cheap double OP amp (e.g. 4558 or TL072 or even NE5532). Then you would have connected +12V to one output of the double OP amp -> smoke.

Last edited:
There are countless reports of problem parts from auction sites, such as fakes, out of spec devices etc etc.

Parts from recognised suppliers are guaranteed to be full spec devices, and I'd go so far as to say its pretty much unheard of for any such parts to have a problem.

Another unknown is the circuit you are using them in. Incorrectly designed power supplies can sometimes do unpredictable things at power on. 78/79 type supplies in particular often need 'steering diodes' added to ensure correct start up.

Ya I think I have to buy a couple more from Digikey and test it out using the same supply. I have been using +-12V from my computer power supply. Other than the voltage measurement using DMM, I have no clue how reliable the power is. Is a benchtop power supply (from Amazon for ~$100) a good one to start?

That blow up could be due to a bad part, or it could be a bad circuit causing destructive oscillation.

I tried on a breadboard. +-12V and only the IC on it. It still blew up. Or should I have placed some by-pass caps?

I know many people successfully shop on ebay, but as an operator of a commercial pro audio repair facility, I never buy such parts. ANy small savings in price are overcome by experiences such as yours. Suppliers like Mouser or Digikey have never let me down.

Yes, I think I have to shop from Digikey more often. Their minimum for free shipping is $200 =(. Oh well!

If the ic is put in a socket the wrong way around or the supply voltages are muddles up, that will happen.

I checked and double checked that I was placing the IC correctly.

The surface of the DIP package looks suspicious …

My guess: They're fake. The forger(s) did not realise that the NE5534 is a single OP amp and used a cheap double OP amp (e.g. 4558 or TL072 or even NE5532). Then you would have connected +12V to one output of the double OP amp -> smoke.

How do you tell if might be fake? I thought it was weird that it didn't have a dimple to mark pin 1.

You could insert your lone survivor backwards now, to see if it fails the same way. That would kinda' proof that the other three were marked upside down. ;) Wear some safety goggles and don't try this at home, of course :D

Haha well, my *lone survivor* is already soldered into the board. I don't think it wants to be bothered, seeing how its friends went. And I have been trying this in my garage squinting my eyes.

a4bjfm.jpg

Ok, I realized I had 2 more NE5534 in my drawer. From another seller, as these have dimples. I plugged into my power supply the same way as before, and neither blew up!
2 is a pretty small sample size, but the previous batch had more than 50% of failure rate. So I think I can blame faulty NE5534s.

Please post the EBay link to the page/seller .
I'd *love* to see his sales History.

Ye, definitely sanded down and remarked.

NO WAY they miss *both* the end notch and the pin 1 dimple, it's either one or the other.

And labelling is NOT an indication.

Not sure about the economic justification about this, meaning an IC which is still widely available; now if it were some mythical unobtanium semiconductor, well, it might be different.

Of course, seller might have some 10000 duds to dispose of , so anything is possible.

Please post the EBay link to the page/seller .
I'd *love* to see his sales History.

Ye, definitely sanded down and remarked.

NO WAY they miss *both* the end notch and the pin 1 dimple, it's either one or the other.

And labelling is NOT an indication.

Not sure about the economic justification about this, meaning an IC which is still widely available; now if it were some mythical unobtanium semiconductor, well, it might be different.

Of course, seller might have some 10000 duds to dispose of , so anything is possible.
I will find the seller later today. Android eBay app only shows my last 5 purchases :(.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.