Germanium output driver transformer use - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 26th November 2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Ggizzy is offline Ggizzy  United States
diyAudio Member
Default Germanium output driver transformer use

Good afternoon,

I gutted a 1967 Packard Bell RPC-39 console. I kept the marvelous Star trek space-age "Solid State" radio but discarded the power amplifier.

The power amplifier was germanium transistor output driven, but I have long since discarded the transistors and I never had the schematic. I kept the decent-sized EI 50V PT and the output driver transformer pair. The markings on these, as shown in the picture are:

606 is the EIA code of Woodward-Schumacher, and the console is from '67 so its reasonable to assume the transformer is from '65. My question is- before going to the length of determining the turns ratio and impedance- should I even bother? Is there a cost-effective use of these in transistor output instrument amps? Is there engineering use outside of audio?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (221.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 26th November 2015, 08:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
The driver transformer doesn't mind whether Ge or Si transistors are employed as the bias is set up separately. Possibly the transistor were OC16? I still have stock of some for repairs in my workshop. Best to keep things original if possible.
The PT is fine for other uses but the driver is a driver and possibly 16 : 1 ratio. Stick a 5volt sine-wave at 1kHX on the primary and measure the outputs. That will give an indication.
Support for Flying Mole Class D, Allen & Heath, Valve amps, older designs & 2CVs.
Old 26th November 2015, 09:29 PM   #3
Ggizzy is offline Ggizzy  United States
diyAudio Member
Thank you!

Hide this!Advertise here!