Crossover question -- Series caps / Parallel caps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2015, 01:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Crossover question -- Series caps / Parallel caps

I am restoring a 1991 loudspeaker kit, and the original schematic is long gone.

One part of the tweeter crossover has a small value capacitor IN SERIES before a larger value capacitor.

I know that often -- to improve speed & transparency -- a smaller value cap is put IN PARALLEL with the larger value cap.

So, can you think of a reason why 2 SERIES caps would be in a tweeter X-over ? Or should the correct path be in PARALLEL.

Yes, I know --- not much info to go on.
Old 12th November 2015, 01:55 AM   #2
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know what you have, but in pro audio, I have encountered "entry level" tweeters that came with a cap attached. I guess it was their guarantee no one would put full range through it. And if this speaker was more entry level, perhaps they took such a tweeter and simply connected it to their crossover as is, without removing the cap that came with it.
Old 12th November 2015, 03:11 AM   #3
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend1714 View Post
One part of the tweeter crossover has a small value capacitor IN SERIES before a larger value capacitor.
Is there nothing else connected to the tweeter or those capacitors?
Old 12th November 2015, 03:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

LET ME BE MUCH MORE SPECIFIC --- WITH THE SPEAKER / DRIVERS I AM WORKING ON.
Old 12th November 2015, 04:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

OOOPS !!! I hit the post button too soon.

Let me finish this : the X-over I need as a schematic is for Joe D'Appolito's MTM ARIA-5s, in kit build, from around 1990. Elliot Zalyt at Zalytron sold them with the standard Focal inverted dome.

Focal woofers 5K013L [Kevlar] but I got the upgrade ACCUTON C-26 ceramic hard dome. I NEED A X-OVER SCHEMATIC FOR THE ACCUTON TWEET as part of the total speaker wiring.
Old 12th November 2015, 10:56 AM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Caps in filters may be arranged in series or parallel to obtain a value which is not available (at a reasonable cost) as one component. That is the usual engineering reason.
Old 12th November 2015, 03:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Original poster here ---- I found the answer to my X-over schematic question. Thanks to the responders. Bye . . .

Hide this!Advertise here!