How to suppress spikes on power supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2004, 01:34 PM   #1
kmt is offline kmt  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default How to suppress spikes on power supply

Hello to everyone!

I've a question concerning spikes on power supply: I've built up a headphone amp using a NE5532A and two BUF634. It works pretty good, very low noise etc. The only problem is the power supply. The PCB is powered by +/- 15V. For the power supply I used a toroidal transformer (30VA, +/- 15V) connected to a rectifier B40C3300. The +/- Va outputs of the rectifier are connected to 2 capacitors 1000µF.

I use 7815/7915 regulators to generate the voltages for the headphone amp. Inputs and outputs of these Vregs are connected to GND via a 100nF capacitor. Output is stabilized by a 220µF cap. The ripple voltage of the supply is very low, but I have switching spikes at the V+/V- when I turn on/off other electrical equipment (e.g. soldering station etc.)

My question is: what's the best/easiest way to suppress switching spikes on the power lines?

Any hints would be helpful

Greetz

Kai
Old 14th February 2004, 01:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Kai,

For a headphone amp best is to use NOT a toroidal transformer but one that has inherently better PSU noise suppression. Use trannies with a U-shaped core and complete separated windings. These are available in Germany from Hahn transformers and Block. But Hahn is better quality IMHO.

You can start with a 250V VDR noise suppressor (“Transzorbs” and the like) across the mains if there is a lot of mains pollution. Use a big enough one of at least 25 mm diam. Ready-made spike and noise suppressors are available from a computer store.

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!