Film capacitor value drift over 25 years ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
X and Y rated capacitors that are continuously bombarded with over voltage spikes do lose some capacitance.
Eventually they can be -20% after a decade or two of mains duty.

They are designed to absorb the interference spikes by vapourising some metal from the plate/s. This uses up life.

Ordinary duty capacitors should never "arc" internally because you will never expose them to the interference spikes .
They last virtually for ever.
Except when you buy some crap with "AUDIO" plastered all over the labeling. Then you don't know what you're paying for.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that better quality X caps last longer, so maybe they burn away less metal per incident?

Incidentally, this is why I always advise people to put an X cap across the mains transfomer primary after the switch, not across the switch contacts as many others advise. Assuming that an audio amp will spend more time switched off than on, this maximises the life of the cap.

Davids,
that's not the difference between X and Y rated.

X are rated to work in the presence of high voltage high frequency interference while being exposed to semi-permanent 220/240Vac

Y are rated to fail safe in the presence of high voltage high frequency interference while being exposed to semi-permanent 220/240Vac.

It's the fail safe that is important.

Across the mains switch does not affect this, since the switch can be closed or open and the equipment should be designed to still be safe.

It's the capacitive connections to Protective Earth that require the fail safe attribute. Here you must use Y rated capacitors.

davidsrb said:
Capacitors across the switch should be class Y. A class X lets through dangerous levels of leakage when the equipment is OFF.
No. If you must put a cap across the switch just make it a low value Class X.

AndrewT said:
that's not the difference between X and Y rated
Both are intended to fail safe - go open circuit when overstressed. The main difference is that you are supposed to be able to trust your life to a Y cap, so you can put a Y cap from Live to chassis. Also, Y caps must be small values so there is not too much AC 'leakage' current under normal circumstances.

You can get smaller X caps. People who know what they are doing will use the right cap value in the right place.

Today I found another example of a 'shrinking' X cap. This was a 0.33uF acting as a dropper for the vacuum display and timer chip for my cooker. The display has been rather dim for a year or two - the cooker is only about 7 years old. The cap had reduced to about 0.1uF. Replacing it fixed the problem, and saved me from spending about £60 on a new control board. How much electronics is thrown away into landfill simply because a mains dropper cap needs replacing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.