TI to discontinue many ICs!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The LME49720 / LM4562 has extremely low distortion, and is also pretty easy to stabilize, but it has a good bit more input voltage noise. However, I imagine that you could build a somewhat low gain, fast, but low noise front end amplifier and put the 4562 in the feedback loop and get something more suited to a MC cartridge. For MM, the noise of the LM4562 should be just fine.

We'd really need to see the feedback network of his preamp, as the 49720 might actually be lower noise than the 49990 in-circuit. The former has pretty darn low current noise (1.6pA/rtHz), while the latter doesn't (2.8pA/rtHz).

For BJT-input, though the OPA209 is going to be the winner for noise for most audio circuits (e.g. for Rf around 1k or so). Other opamps are clearly better for other reasons, though (just to be thorough).

I'd try the ADA4898 as a replacement for the 49990 though. Both are exquisitely high performing chips that require some know-how to get the most out of them. OPA211/OPA1611 is in barking distance, too.

(I wrote this to complement Monte's post, not in disagreement!)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.