Tektronix 2432M (A) Scope? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2004, 08:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tektronix 2432M (A) Scope?

Can anyone please tell me the vintage and where I can find details of this scope? And what is a reasonable price used?

I can find no information after a search which seems unusual
Old 12th February 2004, 09:55 PM   #2
Spudnik is offline Spudnik  Canada
diyAudio Member

a friend of mine got one on ebay for 150 bucks. canadian.

dunno how much they usually retail for in uk. ebay has quite a few up, according to said friend.
Old 12th February 2004, 11:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default The best I can find is...

The "M" stands for "Military" which usually means that the unit is ruggedized to withstand greater abuse and moisture.

I just bought a Tek 465B and during my search I came across a website that lists all the Tek scopes and the production dates. I can't find it right now, but should be able to sometime tonight.

Tektronix 2432 Digital Storage Oscilloscope

300MHz, 2 channels, 250 megasamples/sec, 2ns glitch capture. 8 bit vertical resolution. 0.0015% crystal controlled time base. Simultaneous two channel sampling. Auto pass/fail testing. Automatic measurements, extensive triggering capabilities, printer/plotter output, on-screen help. GPIB.
Old 13th February 2004, 08:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Although these scopes are really nice when they are in working order many of them are no longer servicable as Tektronix has disposed of their entire stock of replacement parts. Even parts for many very late CRT 2400 series based scopes are NLA. A good place to go if one ever has trouble with any TEK CRT based scope is to the Yahoo TEKGROUPS BB. There are quite a number of retired TEK factory engineers there that are extremely helpful. I'll also say that none of this has deterred me one bit as I have close to a dozen different TEK scopes including a 315 vacuum tube scope. Each one of them is a work of art in itself!!

Mark
Old 13th February 2004, 08:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Does this also include the 400 series scopes?

One of the reasons I just bought the 465B was due to a lot of experienced people telling me that of all their scopes the 465B is one of the best workhorses and easily repaired w/ plenty of parts available. Part of this reason was that it Tek supposedly used of the shelf parts in it , unlike their later scopes which used propretary circuit boards, etc.

Regardless, I should probably pick up an unworking one for cheap and keep it for parts.

The biggest surprise for me was that getting an original manual with complete service documentation is going to cost almost half as much as the damn scope, itself.
Old 13th February 2004, 09:06 AM   #6
Jax is offline Jax  Sweden
diyAudio Member

465B manual is scanned and available at http://bama.sbc.edu/tektroni.htm
Old 13th February 2004, 09:13 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks Jax

That site is a great resource and I've already downloaded the manual from there. But, it is a serious pain in the butt to read thorugh and flip right to a specific section in the 300 page manual using the mandatory DejaVu file viewer. At least, on my computer it runs pretty slow so scrolling down a page is really annoying.

There's something about being able to lay out a book and flip thorugh the pages. Schematics are also easier as foldouts.

Maybe I'm just stuck in the stone age.
Old 13th February 2004, 12:10 PM   #8
Jax is offline Jax  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Yes

The tool is a real pain and leaks memory. I usually print the whole thing at once after a quick check if the manual was the right one.

But it is a valuable site.
Old 13th February 2004, 02:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The 465 is probably the most well known and used scope ever built. Tens of thousands were produced and a good majority of them are still in use. I have a 465B that I use almost daily for field service work and its never gone down on me. I also have an extra 465B that I use for parts as well, but have never had to do this yet. If you prize your scope or like me use it all the time then a spare parts unit is a very good idea

Mark
Old 13th February 2004, 05:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Thanks Jax

[QUOTE]Originally posted by darkmoebius
[B]That site is a great resource and I've already downloaded the manual from there. But, it is a serious pain in the butt to read thorugh and flip right to a specific section in the 300 page manual using the mandatory DejaVu file viewer. At least, on my computer it runs pretty slow so scrolling down a page is really annoying.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you pl give the url for the Deja Vu viewer. A Google seearch produced no downloadable sites.

Hide this!Advertise here!