[INDIA] Chassis, knobs, PCB makers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tcpip said:

I checked just now. It seems that if you have a Yahoo or other free email address, then they ask for a shipping and handling fee. If you give them a corporate email address, shipping is free.

Hmm, no such luck for me. They said that my email address requires shipping & handling and if login using another email address that shipping will be free. Might mean that someone at work (i work in an academic institution) has gone nuts ordering samples or something.

quick question -- have any of you used delta for small custom orders -- I've a few tube projects on the to-do list (including an ax84 guitar amp) and wondered if anyone here has done orders though delta?

EDIT -- need equivalent of a Hammond 269EX (fairly standard transformer) plus a Hammond 125DSE (tube output transformer)

this might be a funny question to ask here, but are high-quality capacitors like Wima, Panasonic and resistors like Vishay-Dale available here in India? I just went and bought some components for my headphone amp and the resistors look like they were made in the backyard of the shop.

will there be a huge difference in the sound and is handmatching the resistors a better way of getting some quality?

You get very good locally made resistors in the market. All good Indian companies make components on the latest imported machines with imported raw material. So as long as they use good raw material their product is as good as what you buy abroad - though slightly more expensive ! You name the type and they are almost all made here. Just look into the local components/electronics magazines. They also LOOK very good !Expensive special type resistors are also available though you may have to contact the manufacturer directly.

I've done that for some parts and they seem to be happy to cater to small time users. A Group Buy is the way to go and you can get parts at VERY good prices. However a Group Buy locally is possibly easy but catering to overseas members might be a problem if we try to export larger packets of components. Our customs could be problematic !
As a business it could be OK but as a DIY parcel I'm sure there will be some problems.
One of these days I need to go across to the Customs office and get some clarifications.
Cheers.

( bad looking resistors must be from small cottage companies in Delhi !).

Anybody for a local ( India ) silver mica Group Buy? Min quantity for each type is 100 pieces . Anyone want 10 pieces of each type ... what values ? I can order it and ship it ( within India) to those interested if they can specify what they want . Exporting WILL be a hassle at the moment.
Cheers.

thanks for the info ashok. i'm looking out for 1/8 (preferable) or 1/4 (if necessary) metal-film resistors for my headphone amp. sadly do not have the skills to deal with AC voltage yet. do you have any leads on good capacitors also? p.s. - based on your last posts, i'm assuming you're from chennai as I am. can you suggest some "reputable" place that i can head to get these? thanks for the effort

ashok said:
You get very good locally made resistors in the market. All good Indian companies make components on the latest imported machines with imported raw material. So as long as they use good raw material their product is as good as what you buy abroad -
I agree.

The only remark which caught me by surprise (a very pleasant surprise) is that they're happy to deal with small customers. I have had a very different picture. My impression is that we have a thriving business making high quality goods and services but these sellers are only interested in large and/or overseas buyers. They are poor in keeping specs or maintaining a product datasheet, and terrible in customer handling. They only want to execute job work orders for large OEM buyers. They can deliver the quality, but not the associated literature or support. I guess I was wrong.

Anybody for a local ( India ) silver mica Group Buy? Min quantity for each type is 100 pieces . Anyone want 10 pieces of each type ... what values?
This would be lovely. I'd like a few pieces (maybe 5-10) of a few commonly used values for compensation caps for Lin-topology amps. Essentially, I've seen these caps varying from abut 10pF to about 1000pF (higher values are used where two-pole compensation seems to be used). I'd also like some 10-100nF caps if affordable, for supply decoupling.

It all depends on the price. What kind of prices can we hope to get? More interestingly, what price will I get if I order a hundred identical pieces? As a data point to compare with, I got a price quote of Rs.4 per cap for 500V ceramic caps, 0.1uF, 100 pieces. I expect the silver-mica will of course be more expensive.

I can get you prices for 100 pieces of the values you want.
Let me know what they are. If others are interested we can do a group buy of some common values.
Mica caps were about Rs15 each for lower pF values and climbing up to Rs50 for larger values. I need to find the quotation I got a while ago. Imported resistors from Taiwan and Korea are freely available but with very thin leads. They are about half the price of 'Indian' equivalents. The Indian ones appear to use heavier guage copper leadout wires and are slightly bigger for the same wattage . I'd say the 'Indian' manufacture will meet the specs . Available in 1% types also.

I think all Indian DIY guys should look into a few issues of the EFY magazine and you will find resistors like Dales etc. and the blurb says that small orders are welcome ! If a lot of people start writing to the manufacturers they will take notice. Not all are bad !

I bought some flat non inductive 0.33ohm 5W resistors from HTR. All they said was the min quantity was a box of 300 pieces. I put in a cheque into their ICICI bank account ( at the nearest ICICI branch ) and in a couple of weeks the box was delivered all packed very well and also made well. I complemented them on the packing and gave some suggestions on making the printing more attractive. The MD wrote back a great email thanking me for the suggestions which he said he would share with the manufacturing staff ! Great isn't it ?

ashok said:
I can get you prices for 100 pieces of the values you want.
I'm looking for 10 pieces each of some of these values:

• 10pF
  • 33pF
  • 47pF
  • 75pF
  • 100pF
  • 330pF
  • 470pF
  • 750pF
  • 1000pF
  • 100nF
for starters. Depending on how the group buy goes, I'll decide which of these values I'd like. But the one value I'd really like, if I can afford it, and in larger quantities (e.g. 25-50) is the 100nF one.

I bought some flat non inductive 0.33ohm 5W resistors from HTR. All they said was the min quantity was a box of 300 pieces.
So you have 300 pieces of these??? Do you want to sell me a few? What is their package?

ok, another noob question but please bear with me. i spent a good part of yesterday evening combing ritchie street (in chennai) for rosin core solder but could not find anyone who understood me. does the solder sold in India usually come with a rosin core or should i get some liquid flux also? also, is it true that 63/37 solder in unavailable in India because thats the feedback i got. thanks!

I do not know who you talk to in Ritchie street . That place has been there much before you were born I guess ! There are enough knowledgeable dealers there. As far as I know most of the solder available is flux cored solder . Just cut the solder with a sharp knife and you will see it's hollow with some 'material' inside. Heat it with a soldering iron and you will see flux vapours ( and maybe you can smell it ) .
Besides the packet will say flux cored solder. There are many shops that sell retail quantities . Try Jothi Electronics . It is behind the petrol pump ( gas station !) which is near the Hindu Newspaper office. That's a little out of the way but there are many other small shops within the market. I don't know all their names.

tcpip: I "had" 300 pieces last year !:)

ramkumarr said:

I recently discovered a great tube shop in Bangalore - Famous Radio Company. Their phone no is 080-22221370. One-man show and very friendly. Stocks quite a range.

Any idea if they stock OPTs too? What tubes did they have ECC88? 6922? 6550?

For large value caps (passive crossovers and such) I use a mix of CTR bypassed with MIT, TRT (Infinicap), Wondercap or Solen. So all one really needs to do is stock up on 1 and 2.2 uf caps from TRT/Solen etc.. and use CTR for the rest.

CTR can be contacted as below.

CTR MANUFACTURING INDUSTRIES LTD.
E-1, MIDC, CHIKALTHANA,
AURANGABAD - 431006, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
Phone:91-240-2485288/2485255
Fax:91-240-2484128

Give Keltron a pass, except for some low-value, non-critical general-purpose small caps. They're nowhere near the quality of the Taiwanese/Korean majors, leave alone Japanese - and you get high-quality Japanese electrolytics, including Rubycon ZL/YXG/YXA, Panasonic FC/FJ/NHG, Nichicon PW/PL/PJ/PM/PR/PS, Nippon Chemicon LXZ/KZE and Elna at S.P. Road. There's utterly no reason to use Keltron junk nowadays.

Punsumi has been bankrupt for over a decade - all the EBay stock is NOS stocks from the bankruptcy auction of Punsumi years ago. I'd avoid it.,now that there is high quality Japanese stuff available at retail in Bombay/Chennai/Bangalore.

Ramkumar: Thanks for the heads up on Famous Radio - where is it located in Bangalore?

Sagar: 63:37 is available in Chennai, but the more common type is 60:40. The finest solder (60:40) that I've ever used is made by a Chennai outfit in Ambattur, with a sales outlet in Ritchie Street. Quoting from memory (which may be faulty), it's in one of the aisles that goes perpendicular to the street, near Suraj/Vijay or the adjacent one.

That solder gives the smoothest, shiniest, flowing beads that I've ever seen - and I've been in the industry in the US for ~10 years. There's nothing comparable that I've seen there. This solder has a flux core, but it is a light-yellowish translucent material, unlike Rosin, which tends to be reddish. On the board, the flux residue forms a semi-hard, translucent coating which can be cleaned with IPA, but causes no harm if left on the board.

linuxguru said:
Give Keltron a pass, except for some low-value, non-critical general-purpose small caps. They're nowhere near the quality of the Taiwanese/Korean majors, leave alone Japanese - and you get high-quality Japanese electrolytics, including Rubycon ZL/YXG/YXA, Panasonic FC/FJ/NHG, Nichicon PW/PL/PJ/PM/PR/PS, Nippon Chemicon LXZ/KZE and Elna at S.P. Road. There's utterly no reason to use Keltron junk nowadays.
I'm getting some brand of 'lytic caps called SAMWA here (L.Road in Bombay) from Visha. They say this is another name for Samsung's product line. I'm paying Rs.20 or so for 3300uF 63V (in quantities of 20+). Any idea whether this is good?

Any idea what prices I can expect for Panasonic or Nichicon caps, 2200uF, 63V or 100V, in quantities of 50 or so? Quantity discounted rates from Digikey are of the order of $2-$3.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.