[INDIA] Chassis, knobs, PCB makers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi George
Bruce Rozenbilts builds great stuff.
I'm trying to keep things as small as possible. My biggest items is the power trafo followed by the choke. To keep these small, I using EZ80 rectifier (only 600mA heater) and doubling the Triode heater voltage so that the overall current demand is halved. This has resulted in a really small trfo- only about 2" high. My overall case height is 6.5cm. I will put up the AutoCad drgs if you guys desire so.

Alps pot (not stepped) are Rs. 221 each (RS part no 249-9115). The gold contact source selector is Rs. 1637.

After the front & rear plates are coated I'll screen-print the letterings. The panels will be machined after being bolted together.

Lets see how soon its up and running.

Re: Great Job!

corbato said:
Excellent work there with your PCB and the amp Heatsink. Is your P03 amp also getting the same treatment?
My P3A is the one which I've shown in the picture of heatsink plus PCB. I've had to do some innovations to get Rod's original PCB to mount on L-brackets... I've had to move the power transistors off-board. But that's okay, I think.

Just a small nitpick. You have mentioned drilling and taping the Heatsink to tie down the output devices. But I think the tap holes will become loose over a period of time because constant expansion and contraction of the heat sink. I don't know though how much heat your amp dissipates. Is it a Class A design?
No, I'm not building Class A. And with Class B, I suspect there won't be almost any heating of the heatsink. In fact, my heatsinks are grossly oversized for 100W/ch Class B amps. So I will probably not have to face the problems you've pointed out. Let's see... :)

You already have most of your amp chassis. You now only need a Faceplate and a back plate. Of-course top and bottom covers too.
In the first post of this thread, I'd mentioned the 2U rack-mount chassis I'm getting from Dinrack. So, I'm getting all the plates, front, back, top, sides, whatever. I have all my amp chassis, not just part of it. :D

The side panels will be 15mm AL and the front will be 3mm AL. Brushed finished and cadmium plated. Bronze feet.
Description is attractive. Are you doing the fabrication yourself, or are you getting it done from a workshop? Or are you perhaps starting with molten steel, given the city you live in? :D

On RS India.

Must thank Tarun for showing us this one.
Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh :D Thank me with all your might. But it was not me, it was Gooroo Angshoo. I am just a loudspeaker, who retransmits whatever I learn and then collect the thanks and everlasting undying, gratitude of poor impressionable people like you. :D

What he has posted earlier in the thread quite right.
I agree. In fact, maybe you can add some more adjectives like "brilliant" or "phenomenal" to anything I write... Just a suggestion. :D

... lap cable ...
What's this lap cable?
... RCA jacks and Sockets ...
Aren't these more value for money from MX? Do you see a difference that makes the price worth it?

They have some really nice things at very cost effective prices. Small things like cable ties, spacers, clips, etc. SSM is around 1 box or so. Maybe we can do a group buy...
I too was thinking in terms of Digikey/RS, but Angshu says a lot of such things are available in retail q'ties in Delhi if you know where to look. He knows where to look. He just Knows.

gjo said:
FYI my new Transcendent tube preamp has a brushed aluminium body and front face plate, with the 12AUs being inside the enclosure. The gauge is quite thin, but its adequately rigid.
Yes!! Ever since I got the Dinrack chassis, I've been feeling that this approach will be much more cost-effective. (You've seen my posts about this in the first post on this thread.) Where did you get these boxes made from? Or were they off-the-shelf?

How does one protect screen-printed text?

corbato said:
After the front & rear plates are coated I'll screen-print the letterings. The panels will be machined after being bolted together.
One problem I'm facing with screen printed panels is that the printed text comes off if you rub a bit, even accidentally. Why does this happen, and how can you protect it? Is there any transparent lamination or any similar treatment possible on top of the metal surface, which will cover the printed layer and prevent rub-offs?

I have located an excellent source for custom transforemers and chokes. Just ordered following items from them

- Power Transformer: 220-ct-220 (50ma), 6.3(600mA), 12.6(500mA) Cost Rs: 440
- Chokes: 20H, 50mA and 10H, 50 mA. Cost Rs. 275 each.

Completely epoxy potted. Delivery is next Thursday. Will post pics once these guys reach me.

Tarun,
Trust you've rcvd my email earlier today. Have a great time with Angshu. He had been "yearning" for something special where he was these last few days :) :devilr:

Ashok

Will your guy also do good quality ordinary EI transformers?

I'm contemplating a ST 70 clone ( a 35 wpc PP) for which I may be in the market for a mains tranny:

720VCT (360-0-360) at 250 ma, plus two 6.3VCT 4.5A & one 5V 3A tube filament & rectifier windings, and 55V bias tap..

Getting a 220V version from the US is near impossible, though the output transformers from Magnequest are possible. Lugging all this iron across continents is another achievement by itself!

Ye "yearning" ka matlab kya hai? Hum logon ko be is me aap shamil karenge kya?

Rgds

George

Yearnings

Gooroo Angshoo was here last night. I can still see his aura in the air.

My wife had surpassed herself in the kitchen, and there were prawns and a lovely dryish chicken. Angshoo can confirm. Chilled beer was the bitter for the evening. He listened to the ZX-9, which he'd been waiting to do for many months. He appeared to approve. And we just sat around, caressed Uncle Harry's knobs and Mr.Subramaniam's PCBs for some time, discussed how the speakers I'm trying to make will beat the bought-out ones I have (at least Angshoo things so.... maybe it was the beer but he denies it), and a general good time was had by all. He returned to his hotel past midnight and promptly fell into the arms of Morpheus he says, but the connection was bad, so he might have meant "Mona darling." I don't know. :D

Angshoo is trying to work today. Please send him your sympathies. :D

PS: Shame on you, Ashok, for suggesting Angshoo is old. Don't you know Gooroos are ageless?

Got some more PCBs made

Got my preamp PSU PCB made with the usual solder masking and legend printing. It's turned out as good as the preamp PCB which I'd mentioned earlier. I also got some power amp PCBs made based on Randy Slone's PCB designs (he sells you the artwork for his PCBs.... unlike Rod Elliott. So you can get your own PCBs done cheaply.) For these power amps, I'd asked Balaji Hertz to do 2 ounce copper, which he did. He says he has two-ounce copper clad board for single sided only, not double-sided. Since I don't have solder masking image or legend images for these, I dropped those from these PCBs. I was charged 60p/sqcm, which, specially for 2-ounce copper, is a good price for small quantities, I think.

The PSU PCB was charged differently, because there is a lot more work for it... there are three images printed for each PCB. So for those, he charged his flat rate of Rs.250 for the set. Since I'd asked for four, it came to about Rs.65 per PCB, plus of course the film costs.

Now I better get cracking and make something.

Variac's pointers to Indian sources

Guys, Variac is quite amazing. He pointed me to Indian Websites selling speaker drivers, and gave me a whole set of other pointers. How do you do it? :)

On a different note, the group buy for Uncle Harry's knobs has petered out (pun not intended) in a strange way:
  • Some people think the Indian source (Uncle Harry's manufacture and our very low courier service charges) are too expensive. Apparently you can make knobs in small quantities even in Denmark, if you believe some members, at lower prices. There were thinly veiled hints that Paul Hilgeman and I were profiteering. :)
  • Apparently, the knobs they were originally looking for are not as "nice" as the ones Peter Daniel has posted. Peter's sample set is no doubt gorgeous, but what they seem to miss is that Uncle Harry can make any of those designs in quantities of 100 at his usual rates and superb finish.
  • Peter Daniel is offering to make knobs for everyone (he's a guy I like) but one of his earlier posts mentioned that he can get any knob made at a price of USD 15.00 if in large quantities!!! And that's inexpensive compared to the group buy rate???
I like most of these guys (other than one or two rude and obnoxious ones), and have nothing personal against anyone, and they're certainly no fools. But I just can't figure out what's going on.

In the meantime, something interesting happened with Uncle Harry's remaining stock of knobs. He had about a hundred left, I think. One forum member contacted me off-list by email from the UK, and told me he wanted 80 or 100 knobs, are they available? He was fine with the absence of a recessed back and the 6mm dia shaft, and said that he's tired of the group buy because (and I quote) "... they got really stupid claiming the price was too high." :) So we calculated the costs for 90 knobs, and the total, including packaging and shipping, came to USD 125.00. As soon as we hear that his wire transfer has reached us, we will ship the lot to him. He says he loves the look of the knobs, and evidently thinks the price is excellent.

If this American group buy had reached one hundred knobs, I think they too could have got the set shipped for that amount. That would have come to about USD 1.35 or so per knob. I'm really curious to see how much cheaper the US-made knobs will turn out to be.

So, the whole story has been quite schizophrenic, and something doesn't gell.

C'est la vie. :D

ajju said:
You can always take ur horses down to the water...but no matter what, never make them drink...
So wait till they get thirsty..:D
Brilliantly put. :D
There's one member-friend from India (moniker "ashok") who has expressed interest in Peter Daniel's knobs. Maybe we can have a purely Indian group buy if there are others who want to get knobs. I can't imagine that anything made in the US and brought in through Customs will be smoother and less expensive than Uncle Harry's stuff. :) We can get some knobs made to order. I can swing the making if we can get a volume of at least 50.

no matter what, I'm always thirsty when it comes to this...:drink: :drink:
:D

Yes i would be interested in the knobs. Right now i'm a bit busy at work :drunk: and also the speakers need to be completed. After that i'll be starting on a chasis for a Chip amp and an active X0 and would require those knobs.
I think Uncle harry can easily churn out any kind of design on aluminium. And peters dont look much difficult either..
but...lets be different and not follow the crowd...:mischiev:

Btw, I was talking to Shiva(corrson) today..he said he can provide
CTR metalised polypropelene caps...and non inductive resistors for use in passive crossovers.

ajju

Tarun,

That excellent thread was spoiled mainly because one particular member didn’t take his head out of his rear before posting.

I sell to major automakers and Tier I companies in EU. If any of these buyers ask me to quote 1$ for an item that cost them 500$ (as this particular dork has implied), I would gladly tell the customers to #$% off.

I thought of giving a suitable rebuttal in that thread, but then realised it will only add to acrimony.

Strange people cohabit us.

NB: You are saving a few of Uncle Harry’s for me. Aren’t you?

:rolleyes:

Well put Ashok..

I think we here should first get the benefit of Tarun's Uncl Harry connection, before the folks there-at least we will enjoy them..What is the likely price per unit if we can get the numbers up to 50? While I dont have any immediate need, projects on the distant horizon are always there..

George

I'd be interested in a few of the knobs. Like George said, something might come up in the future.

Ajju,
CTR capacitors are available at Om Electronics. I used to buy them some time ago. You can check it out. Also, Vishal Electronics on SP Road sells those yellow coloured capacitors with axial leads (also polypropylene I think). The sound colouration is very less with these caps. I use them for all my passive crossover requirements.

What are you doing for the inductors?

Vivek

I posted this in another forum but then I realized that this place would be better.

By the way, I am willing to pay 2 TIMES the amount for these off the shelf knobs you have been talking about... without any ammendments!
so 1/8" (approx 3.18 mm ) hole and 6 mm hole !!!!!!

this is my post in the other thread:

To the person(s) being able to buy and ship the (Indian) Uncle Arthur anodized knobs

Post #83

quote:
Originally posted by tcpip

And 38mm (1.5") knobs are available off the shelf here for less than a dollar each. I can send you samples. Unfortunately, their shaft diameters are all 6mm. The pots and rotary switches available here are all either 1/8" (3.18mm), or 4mm, or 6mm. Nothing more than 6mm here.

Tarun

Ok, I have no clue any more of who is doing what but nevertheless, I would like to get some knobs for 6mm shafts AND 1/8" shafts......
1.5 " would ne a nice size FOR MY projects. I DO NOT WANT SAMPLES, I PAY FOR WHAT I ASK! AND OFCOURSE i PAY AND AFTER THAT YOU SHIP!

So please whomever this is, can you quote me your BEST price
for
4 knobs 38 mm (=approx 1.5" for shaft size 6mm)
AND
4 knobs ?? mm (for shaft size 1/8" = approx. 3.18 mm)
I PRESUME THESE KNOBS ARE THE ONES THAT WERE POSTED IN THE EARLIER PICS BUT OFCOURSE STANDARD HOLE SIZE = ORIGINAL STATE!

I pay Paypal (and will add 3pct extra for charges occuring at destination) out of my giving, caring hart!

(beware as a missionary in the USA I do not make a big income!!!)

It needs to be shipped to
Federal Way, WA 98003-6612 USA
one little detail
shipper's info MUST contain the following

Shipper
Jean-Pierre Scherer C/O ( and here you fill in the shipper's name such as AshoK, Vishnu, Parkeel, Goblu or any ones, followed by the shipper's address etc etc...

Make me an offer as requested, I suppose that for of the shelve units, it should not take too long.
iF YOU CANNOT MEET MY SHIPPPING DEMANDS, i WILL SEE IF ANOTHER SOLUTION CAN BE MADE

Thank You

Jean-Pierre Scherer

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dear Not Tarun:

Well, thanks for the kind words. I am pleased to be on the "good" list at the moment :D

I guess by reading this thread I realized that many people in India are sick of being thought of as a place that can only offer the lowest price to compete- that your products can be first class.

I had some friends from India while in graduate school, and we always just had a lot of fun!! Man, drinking good beer and watching Dr. Who -geek heaven!! They had learned to cook dishes from home by experimentation-it was that or starve. And they had really gotten good with a few - so I tended to show up around dinner time!!

They were constantly being invited to some profs or others house for dinner. When they arrived, there was always the "sweet" Indian girl. They said that she was always so shy and unassertive that they found them quite uninteresting. Besides, they would get a wife when they returned home- no need to worry about these things now- better to have a beer and hang with your friends.. ;) excellent values!!

back to the point:

I guess I sometimes feel that people are too quick to see them selves as victims, yet right here I saw how people were suspicious of good intentions- I think the initial price mentioned was high (wisely) to make sure the price wouldn't exceed it. People overeacted and seemed to assume that if the price was close to prices here then someone was profiteering (incidentely- I think by 500% less they meant 1/5 not 1/500 !!!)
Also, It seems beyond people to believe the the knobs are truly of high quality.

The whole thing is truly wierd, and something that could have been a positive "hands across the water ;)" thing turned out somewhat negative.

It's pretty clear that the preferred knob is a cylinder with "flats" on each side to make it look like the old Mark Levinson knobs.
the diameter would be about 32mm. Peter Daniel isn't making these- he's ordering them. As you said- apparently $15 is cheap if it isn't from India :mad: There are pictures on the DIY gainclone chassis thread showing this. If you want to bother, maybe you could run this by "your" Uncle and get a serious quote on about 100 and make a final post with the price including shiping. Or you could just give up which I wouldn't blame you for!

*** I think that the best explanation is that people aren't really paying that much attention and tend to shoot from the hip rather than try to follow the whole thread.*****

Also Peter would be in a bind if the knobs didn't arrive on time- or cost more, or weren't nice, so I certainly can't blame him for wanting to deal with a company known to him.

Gotta go!........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.