[INDIA] Chassis, knobs, PCB makers - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2008, 09:59 PM   #511
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ssmith
I managed to drop by delta transformers in kirti nagar in Delhi -- they're very friendly and showed me around the factory, which is immaculate. They are making a couple of power and OT transformers for me, based on Hammond specs. They said their happy to take small orders when and if they have time, but at the same time don't really like to deal with all the admin workload involved so would probably not appreciate a flood of diyers....! So best thing is to send them a mail or give a call...

Also been in touch with be3ampifiers -- planning to get some celestion drivers from them.

hey smitth
what are the ratings and price of yourr pewer transformer

are they toroidal or ei core

ii also need a power transformer of 65-0-65 1kv

this kind of transformer is impossible to get in lajpat rrai market
Old 12th July 2008, 05:33 AM   #512
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Are you on the lookout for OPT's? Me too....
Quote:
I managed to drop by delta transformers in kirti nagar in Delhi ..so would probably not appreciate a flood of diyers....!
Right now I get my transformers from Singapore. I email the specs to my brother in law who then gives them to someone called Stephen Tay. I met Stephen once and he seems capable and reasonable.

Still an Indian supplier would help. A group buy would make sense but since everyone needs for an OPT are different this might be diffcult to arrange.
Old 12th July 2008, 01:35 PM   #513
jethari is offline jethari  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to jethari
Navin
I get my traffos made from a guy in Goregaon. His name is Dayanand and his company is Toroid Engineering. His contact nos are +91 22 28785770 / +91 9821125522. His toroids are pretty good and quite reasonably priced too.
Hari
Old 12th July 2008, 04:30 PM   #514
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jethari
I get my traffos made from a guy in Goregaon. His name is Dayanand and his company is Toroid Engineering. His contact nos are +91 22 28785770 / +91 9821125522.
Do you mean output transformers or toroidal power supply transformers? And does he make them to order? Your news is very heartening, because this is the first data point I've seen of someone supplying toroidal txfmrs in retail quantities in Bombay. Till now, we only knew of Delta in Delhi and Miracle in B'lore.
Old 12th July 2008, 05:09 PM   #515
jethari is offline jethari  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to jethari
Quote:
Originally posted by tcpip

Do you mean output transformers or toroidal power supply transformers? And does he make them to order? Your news is very heartening, because this is the first data point I've seen of someone supplying toroidal txfmrs in retail quantities in Bombay. Till now, we only knew of Delta in Delhi and Miracle in B'lore.
I dont know about output traffos but he sure makes power traffos. He has supplied me single traffos made to specs. You'll have to visit his factory to collect the stuff. Its off link road, g'gaon (W) behind Vasanth Galaxy.
Hari
Old 13th July 2008, 08:51 AM   #516
ssmith is offline ssmith  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ravslanka

hey smitth
what are the ratings and price of yourr pewer transformer
are they toroidal or ei core
ii also need a power transformer of 65-0-65 1kv
this kind of transformer is impossible to get in lajpat rrai market
I find it's pretty much impossible to get anything decent in Lajpat Rai market.

From Delta, for a PT (EI core) of 275-0-275V, 120mA + 6.3V, 4A (the rough equivalent of a Hammond 270EX, except 240V) , I was quoted Rs.2400 per pc exc. VAT. I ended up going for higher voltage and secondaries.

From looking around their production floor. the quality of their work looks to be very very good. But keep in mind their priority is dealing with big contracts (vending machines, educational institutes... etc) and while they are happy dealing with diy-ers, they don't want or need a deluge of requests, dithering and haggling over price, and extra legwork and so on, otherwise I'm sure they'd just sooner give it a miss. After all, every job involves somebody putting the design together and supervising the work.

A group buy is a nice idea -- or even a group tube amp project that somebody could coordinate?
Old 14th July 2008, 05:03 AM   #517
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by jethari
I get my traffos made from a guy in Goregaon. His name is Dayanand and his company is Toroid Engineering.
Quote:
Originally posted by tcpip

Do you mean output transformers or toroidal power supply transformers?
Toroid make only power transformers not OPTs. Shayma Bajaj (Norge/ Eastern) also sources from there.
Old 15th July 2008, 03:45 AM   #518
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From looking around their production floor. the quality of their work looks to be very very good. But keep in mind their priority is dealing with big contracts (vending machines, educational institutes... etc) and while they are happy dealing with diy-ers, they don't want or need a deluge of requests, dithering and haggling over price, and extra legwork and so on, otherwise I'm sure they'd just sooner give it a miss.
I believe Delta runs a shop somewhere. Angshu was telling me he'd visited their shop once, and it stocks a lot of standard value transformers, both toroid and R-core. I guess if we want standard-value power txfmrs, Delta will be able to deliver without any trouble. By "standard", I mean one of the standard VA ratings and one of their standard secondary voltages.
Old 18th July 2008, 09:12 AM   #519
diyAudio Member

Default Visited Delta Transformers

Visited their factory at Kirti Nagar Industrial Area, Delhi.

Very nice people. They say they are quite willing to make one-off transformers for individual customers like me, provided we give them sufficient lead time to allow them to find a vacant slot in the midst of their bulk orders. This could mean even a two or four-week lead time. Personally, I don't have any problem with that.

One of the members of their management team is a reader of diyaudio, and has read my posts. He has built many amps, and is also a friend of the founder/designer of Lyrita Audio. I heard very good things about Lyrita Audio, most of which I had also heard earlier from Angshu and one or two others. (Apparently, the Lyrita Audio valve amps are not just top-notch, they're also quite affordable. No Cadence Canasya for $25,000 per channel here.)

The R-core transformer I got is the first R-core I've ever seen from up close. Literature on the Net indicates that this geometry is superior to toroids, with even tighter stray EMI and tighter performance. Let's see. Am going to put it into a chassis for a stereo P3A-based power amp. It is expensive, though. I paid almost Rs.4K for the 270VA thing. However, to be honest, I'm seeing prices almost twice as high as what I'd expected on all fronts where there is (i) copper or (ii) steel. I'm getting a Dinrack chassis made for Rs.4.6K! Earlier products from them with broadly similar spec but with Al top and bottom instead of steel, had been Rs.2K.

Can't write all the details of the interesting chat I had, but it's really good to know that we have one really excellent transformer maker willing to take retail orders.

Heard about one development which we need to keep away from. There's now heavy-gauge wire which is Al core with Cu jacket. This means that even if you scrape off a few microns from the surface, you will not be able to detect that it's actually Al wire. It'll look like Cu because there's Cu on the surface. But the core is Al. See here:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/RE28526.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper-clad_aluminum_wire

And an interesting note on the differences between Cu and Al for wiring, here:

http://www.dotznize.com/electric/?a=al

Apparently, a lot of transformer makers are silently switching pure copper wire with this, so that they make their buck. You wouldn't even know, unless you're experienced enough to notice the drop in weight.
Old 18th July 2008, 10:36 AM   #520
ssmith is offline ssmith  France
diyAudio Member

great to hear delta worked out for you too. As I said, I found the visit very friendly and they are very well set up, and it's great they are willing to help out diy-ers.

Hide this!Advertise here!