Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2008, 01:28 PM   #501
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
Samwha is middle-of-the-road, and the price you're paying is OK. You should consider Nippon Chemicon KMH 4700/50v for approximately the same price, if your application allows the lower voltage rating - the KMH is recommended highly on these forums for its all-round performance and is available off-the-shelf at Swastik in Chennai and Pooja in Bangalore.

From memory, I paid ~Rs.72 for a 12000/63 Nichicon LS (average sounding) and about Rs.9 for a 470/80 Nichicon PJ (an excellent low ESR series). I'd extrapolate and say ~Rs.20 to 40 is about right for a high-quality 2200/63 or 2200/80, if they're available. Arunkumar in Chennai had Nichicon RS 4700/25 for ~Rs.10 each, which is an excellent deal for low-rail applications like Class-A amps. I haven't seen Panasonic FC at voltages higher than 25v locally, and I paid ~Rs.8 for 2700/25 at Chetan in Bangalore about a year ago. Panasonic M (85c, general-purpose, marked Kenwood for audio) is available in 4700uf/68v for ~Rs.25 at Arihant, Bangalore. It's worked OK for me, but YMMV. I have observed that some vintage Technics amps use Panasonic M for the main rectifier filter caps with no apparent ill-effects.

If you're buying 50 units, you can expect to get a price break of 10-15% over single-digit quantities.
Old 25th June 2008, 07:54 PM   #502
ssmith is offline ssmith  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tcpip

No, not directly, IMHO. I think the magic that ssmith applied was talking to Plitron and getting a reference from there. When an Indian OEM manufacturer gets a call from a stranger who says "Your Beeg American Customer told me to talk to you", the Indian company will be falling over backwards, willing to platinum-plate a couple of sample transformers free of charge "out of the goodness of their hearts". That's what I've seen of the Indian business world.

You or I didn't use the magic word "Plitron", so we are pieces of local effluence.

Please understand that I have nothing against what ssmith did... I'd have done the same if I needed to.
Has anyone actually had any luck with Salzer by the way?

And, by the way, I'm not an American.... I actually just googled Plitron and India (looking for dealers) and found a press release from them saying they'd set up a partnership with an Indian firm... and from there found Salzer.

Disappointing though if they are not being helpful. Perhaps an attempt at a group buy may be in order, otherwise I'd be happy to try and get in touch with them on behalf of a member here.

Old 25th June 2008, 08:03 PM   #503
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by navin

Any idea if they stock OPTs too?

Are you on the lookout for OPT's? Me too....
Since seeing that Lyrita Audio get their OPT's from Delta in Delhi, plus mentions of Delta in other threads, I sent them a mail asking if they do small orders. They replied very quickly with a quote and seemed very happy to help out. I'm going to try and go over to see them in Kirti Nagar on Saturday to do an order (just 2 OPT's and 2 PT's), and will post back here with impressions.

My hunt for tubes in Delhi, however, has so far proved fruitless although I'm sure, somewhere, there must be a huge warehouse full of colonial-era NOS gems....
Old 26th June 2008, 01:34 AM   #504
diyAudio Member

I went through the era when tubes were fading away. I don't remember anyplace which had tons of tubes and they got rarer as the years went by though their prices didn't go up by a lot. The range of tube types also seemed to be small compared to what I see mentioned 'now' on the forum. Sometimes some small shops do have a few tubes but never in large quantities.

A few years ago I searched all the shops in the electronics market in Delhi and at two places they said they would "get" me the tubes. That for sure meant restamping the numbers. Most tubes I have seen have been pulled from old equipment and almost never in the original boxes. A few triodes I got were not too good.

If you have luck then maybe someone might have a box of forgotten NOS tubes somewhere . It's exciting looking for them however. I still do that when I go to Delhi !

Cheers.
Old 26th June 2008, 02:59 AM   #505
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

It seems the Panasonic FC series does not come in sizes greater than 2200uF if I want voltages of 63V. At 100V, the max value is even lower. So for Panasonic I'm forced to shift out of FC to their large value series if I want higher voltage+value combos.

I have no familiarity with what's on offer from Nichicon, thanks for the pointers. I'll check with the chaps on L.Road whether some of the bigger guys are interested in supplying good caps if I order 50+ in one order.
For that, however, I'll have to do my homework first and specify the exact make and type.
Old 26th June 2008, 01:27 PM   #506
diyAudio Member

on tubes, anyone had dealings with this place?

http://www.be3amplifiers.com/accessories.html
Old 6th July 2008, 07:23 AM   #507
diyAudio Member

Default Heatsinks from Precious Electronics

Guys, I have good news. Yesterday I visited Visha, and they said they can supply pretty much any heatsink from the Precious Electronics catalog. You have to look up the catalog, note down the model number (e.g. PI-37), and call up Visha. They'll tell you what they'll charge per centimetre of that heatsink. The PI-37 is about Rs.6.50 per centimetre, as quoted to me yesterday.

When Visha gives a heatsink, they cut it to the length you want, file the edge to remove burrs, and anodise it black. All this is part of the price they quote.

I've been buying heatsinsk from Visha for some time, but now I have two new reasons to celebrate: I can see the dimensions and diagrams for all the models, without carrying a measuring scale to Visha, and secondly I can do all this without visiting Visha.

Visha will of course be willing to ship wherever you are.
Old 7th July 2008, 04:11 AM   #508
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by ssmith
on tubes, anyone had dealings with this place?

http://www.be3amplifiers.com/accessories.html
have contacted them. they are at the opposite end of town from me. we should know n a few months what they are capable of.
Old 9th July 2008, 06:33 AM   #509
diyAudio Member

Default An interesting PCB fab shop

There's an interesting PCB fab shop in India, which Angshu pointed me to. This is www.pcbpower.com.

They have an online price calculator which gives you prices in rupees.

They can do single-sided, double-sided, 4-layer, 8-layer, and 10-layer PCBs, and they stock 35um and 70um copper clad boards in both SS and DS FR4 substrates (70um will be nice for power amp related stuff).

Prices are not as low as the ones I get from Balaji Hertz in Andheri, but are not exorbitant (much lower than what we see from int'l fab shops). I am sure there are cheaper options all over the country, but none which have an online price calculator and which are willing to deliver at a distance, AFAIK.

They can take Gerberfiles and deliver you the finished PCB in a max of 10 days. Their express service can deliver in one working day. They are happy to do even a single PCB.

Interesting.
Old 11th July 2008, 10:00 AM   #510
diyAudio Member

I managed to drop by delta transformers in kirti nagar in Delhi -- they're very friendly and showed me around the factory, which is immaculate. They are making a couple of power and OT transformers for me, based on Hammond specs. They said their happy to take small orders when and if they have time, but at the same time don't really like to deal with all the admin workload involved so would probably not appreciate a flood of diyers....! So best thing is to send them a mail or give a call...

Also been in touch with be3ampifiers -- planning to get some celestion drivers from them.

Hide this!Advertise here!