[INDIA] Chassis, knobs, PCB makers - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2008, 12:05 PM   #491
sagar is offline sagar  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ssmith
for larger caps, has anyone tried these?

http://www.keltroncomp.com/kccl/products.html

never seen then in markets in delhi.
surprising, these seem to be only the caps I can find in Chennai apart from Chinese imports. im no expert, but they work fine for me (smaller caps)
Old 19th June 2008, 05:28 AM   #492
sagar is offline sagar  India
diyAudio Member

ok, another noob question but please bear with me. i spent a good part of yesterday evening combing ritchie street (in chennai) for rosin core solder but could not find anyone who understood me. does the solder sold in India usually come with a rosin core or should i get some liquid flux also? also, is it true that 63/37 solder in unavailable in India because thats the feedback i got. thanks!
Old 19th June 2008, 06:49 AM   #493
diyAudio Member

I do not know who you talk to in Ritchie street . That place has been there much before you were born I guess ! There are enough knowledgeable dealers there. As far as I know most of the solder available is flux cored solder . Just cut the solder with a sharp knife and you will see it's hollow with some 'material' inside. Heat it with a soldering iron and you will see flux vapours ( and maybe you can smell it ) .
Besides the packet will say flux cored solder. There are many shops that sell retail quantities . Try Jothi Electronics . It is behind the petrol pump ( gas station !) which is near the Hindu Newspaper office. That's a little out of the way but there are many other small shops within the market. I don't know all their names.

tcpip: I "had" 300 pieces last year !
Old 19th June 2008, 08:43 AM   #494
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ashok
tcpip: I "had" 300 pieces last year !
You're kidding me! What did you do, use them as bricks for your house?
Old 23rd June 2008, 03:24 AM   #495
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by quadtech

Just checking if any "tubers" in Bangalore or Mumbai know a source
and can send me 2 tubes to Hyderabad.

- Prasad
I recently discovered a great tube shop in Bangalore - Famous Radio Company. Their phone no is 080-22221370. One-man show and very friendly. Stocks quite a range.
Old 23rd June 2008, 04:32 AM   #496
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by ramkumarr

I recently discovered a great tube shop in Bangalore - Famous Radio Company. Their phone no is 080-22221370. One-man show and very friendly. Stocks quite a range.
Any idea if they stock OPTs too? What tubes did they have ECC88? 6922? 6550?

For large value caps (passive crossovers and such) I use a mix of CTR bypassed with MIT, TRT (Infinicap), Wondercap or Solen. So all one really needs to do is stock up on 1 and 2.2 uf caps from TRT/Solen etc.. and use CTR for the rest.

CTR can be contacted as below.

CTR MANUFACTURING INDUSTRIES LTD.
E-1, MIDC, CHIKALTHANA,
AURANGABAD - 431006, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
Phone:91-240-2485288/2485255
Fax:91-240-2484128
Old 23rd June 2008, 02:49 PM   #497
JPS is offline JPS  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
for larger caps, has anyone tried these? http://www.keltroncomp.com/kccl/products.html
Keltron makes very good quality electrolytic capacitors.

Punsumi from Jaipur, Rajasthan is another very good manufacturer.

http://punsumi.com/

found their products selling on ebay.uk

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-Punsumi-4...080615107a2681
Old 25th June 2008, 06:14 AM   #498
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
Give Keltron a pass, except for some low-value, non-critical general-purpose small caps. They're nowhere near the quality of the Taiwanese/Korean majors, leave alone Japanese - and you get high-quality Japanese electrolytics, including Rubycon ZL/YXG/YXA, Panasonic FC/FJ/NHG, Nichicon PW/PL/PJ/PM/PR/PS, Nippon Chemicon LXZ/KZE and Elna at S.P. Road. There's utterly no reason to use Keltron junk nowadays.

Punsumi has been bankrupt for over a decade - all the EBay stock is NOS stocks from the bankruptcy auction of Punsumi years ago. I'd avoid it.,now that there is high quality Japanese stuff available at retail in Bombay/Chennai/Bangalore.

Ramkumar: Thanks for the heads up on Famous Radio - where is it located in Bangalore?

Sagar: 63:37 is available in Chennai, but the more common type is 60:40. The finest solder (60:40) that I've ever used is made by a Chennai outfit in Ambattur, with a sales outlet in Ritchie Street. Quoting from memory (which may be faulty), it's in one of the aisles that goes perpendicular to the street, near Suraj/Vijay or the adjacent one.

That solder gives the smoothest, shiniest, flowing beads that I've ever seen - and I've been in the industry in the US for ~10 years. There's nothing comparable that I've seen there. This solder has a flux core, but it is a light-yellowish translucent material, unlike Rosin, which tends to be reddish. On the board, the flux residue forms a semi-hard, translucent coating which can be cleaned with IPA, but causes no harm if left on the board.
Old 25th June 2008, 12:37 PM   #499
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by linuxguru
Ramkumar: Thanks for the heads up on Famous Radio - where is it located in Bangalore?
It's on SJP Road, facing SJ Park, approximately half-way between the Town Hall junction and the beginning of the flyover. It's flanked by lots of shops that sell very non-electronic stuff, but it does have a large board making it easier to find.
Old 25th June 2008, 12:56 PM   #500
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by linuxguru
Give Keltron a pass, except for some low-value, non-critical general-purpose small caps. They're nowhere near the quality of the Taiwanese/Korean majors, leave alone Japanese - and you get high-quality Japanese electrolytics, including Rubycon ZL/YXG/YXA, Panasonic FC/FJ/NHG, Nichicon PW/PL/PJ/PM/PR/PS, Nippon Chemicon LXZ/KZE and Elna at S.P. Road. There's utterly no reason to use Keltron junk nowadays.
I'm getting some brand of 'lytic caps called SAMWA here (L.Road in Bombay) from Visha. They say this is another name for Samsung's product line. I'm paying Rs.20 or so for 3300uF 63V (in quantities of 20+). Any idea whether this is good?

Any idea what prices I can expect for Panasonic or Nichicon caps, 2200uF, 63V or 100V, in quantities of 50 or so? Quantity discounted rates from Digikey are of the order of $2-$3.

Hide this!Advertise here!