[INDIA] Chassis, knobs, PCB makers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ashok said:
I emailed them and also spoke to them . They said minimum quantity 50 pieces each type!:confused:

I think ssmith didn't order anything like that . Discrimination?
No, not directly, IMHO. I think the magic that ssmith applied was talking to Plitron and getting a reference from there. When an Indian OEM manufacturer gets a call from a stranger who says "Your Beeg American Customer told me to talk to you", the Indian company will be falling over backwards, willing to platinum-plate a couple of sample transformers free of charge "out of the goodness of their hearts". That's what I've seen of the Indian business world.

You or I didn't use the magic word "Plitron", so we are pieces of local effluence.

Please understand that I have nothing against what ssmith did... I'd have done the same if I needed to.

Dinrack is alive and doing well

Just called them up. I need another amp chassis for a new project.

They have a Website now, with a lot more information than what other similar industrial engg firms in India put up. They told me they're happy to do business with me in retail quantities. Their earlier chassis that I had bought was their DR-30 series. They told me they have a new series called DR-35 which is much better looking and is apparently getting very good feedback from the market.

The telephone numbers listed on their Website are correct. (Those who have done business with Indian B2B companies will know how rare this is.) They actively maintain their Website... they are trying to put up some info about the DR-35 series on their "New Products" section. (The link doesn't work; they said they're trying to fix it.)

Re: Dinrack is alive and doing well

tcpip said:
... they are trying to put up some info about the DR-35 series on their "New Products" section.
They contacted me with a new URL: http://www.dinrack.com/industrial-19racks-softline-springy.html

The top and bottom plates being 0.8mm MS seems very flimsy. May not work for power amps, may be great for preamps, active xo, and the like.

Dinrack DR-35

I thought I would briefly share my experiences with Dinrack of the last month, and the DR-35 that I ordered from them recently.

(i) Responsiveness, accessibility - pretty good. Shailesh Shinde, their commercial director, is quite prompt and responds reasonably well (by Indian standards) to email too, and he is quick to respond on the phone.

(ii) Product quality. Not upto the mark. The structure is good, but the finishing is sub-par. The powder coating which according to Shailesh is done by a third party, is blemished with spots and dings, and the aluminium profiles have not been brushed well so even though anodized they do not exactly look beautiful. I have ordered a DR33 from them and they say they will do a better job, so let us see. If it still looks poor I will have to order them unfinished and take care of finishing myself.

-Ramkumar

Re: Dinrack DR-35

ramkumarr said:
I thought I would briefly share my experiences with Dinrack of the last month, and the DR-35 that I ordered from them recently.
How much did they charge? I want to order one DR-30 (their old standard model) very shortly, but I'm curious about their DR-35.

You're right about them being very good by Indian standards. The fact that a workshop like theirs with large B2B orders even deigns to talk to a retail customer is itself exceptional by Indian standards.

Re: Re: Dinrack DR-35

tcpip said:

How much did they charge? I want to order one DR-30 (their old standard model) very shortly, but I'm curious about their DR-35.

You're right about them being very good by Indian standards. The fact that a workshop like theirs with large B2B orders even deigns to talk to a retail customer is itself exceptional by Indian standards.

They charged me 2650 door-delivered for the DR35 including an IEC hole punch on the rear panel (which they forgot to do!).

Their "problem" is really that defence folks dont care much about a few little pimples on the paint finish - they are more used to bullet marks perhaps. So everyone takes it easy. Unfortunately, if one or two of us place order that may not change much, despite what Shailesh says about their concern for quality and the fact that they are planning to target overseas consumer markets etc. So if any of you who read this post call up, please mention a customer in Bangalore who warned you about finish and they might pull up their socks a bit! After all powder coating and anodizing are commodity operations.

Re: Re: Re: Dinrack DR-35

ramkumarr said:
...So if any of you who read this post call up, please mention a customer in Bangalore who warned you about finish and they might pull up their socks a bit! After all powder coating and anodizing are commodity operations.
I'll definitely do this. I have to order one chassis immediately, and in a few months, one or two more.

Hi, I'm a newbie from Chennai and I have been going through this extremely helpful post to get information about where I can get some good opamps for my headphone amp project. The only places that I know of are Ritchie Street in Chennai (where one day of strolling around did not help) and Mercy Electronics in Kodambakkam which had pretty much everything except opamps.

Can anyone guide me to the right place to find these? I'm specifically looking for the Burr Brown OPA2132PA or Analog Devices AD823 chips. Also, contacts of any good case makers in Chennai would also be of great help.

Thanks,
Sagar

ashok said:
ssmith from our forum seems to have bought transformers from Salzer and he recommended them .
I emailed them and also spoke to them . They said minimum quantity 50 pieces each type!:confused:
I think ssmith didn't order anything like that . Discrimination ?

Hi Guys,
Sorry just saw this post on Salzer.
I only ordered 5 custom units from them, so the min qty of 50 sounds odd. I just called them direct, eventually was transferred to someone, got his email ID, made the request, and then it all went from there.
The person I spoke to was a Mr Raymond. I found him very helpful. May be best thing to do is call him direct or send a mail: raymond (at) salzergroup.com
No affiliation BTW -- I just came across them thru google.
rgds stefan

Rs.2000 for a 300 VA Salzer toroidal is quite reasonable - I expect that prices are much higher now with copper prices having gone up.

I paid around Rs.600 for an EI-core 'Sham' brand (?!) 250 VA transformer, nowhere near the quality of Salzer. However, it works and seems to be close to spec.

> Burr Brown OPA2132PA or Analog Devices AD823 chips. Also, contacts of any good case makers in Chennai

Hmm - you're probably out of luck. However, there are better op-amps available now. If you're willing to pay exhorbitantly marked-up retail prices, you can try any distributor of National Semiconductor for a LM497x0-family op-amp, like R.S.Components in Bangalore.

My guess is that for a headphone amp, a TL074 or TL064 should work fine, since you're looking for gain in the range 2..5 only. These are readily available below Rs.10 each at numerous places.

For a cabinet, you're better off buying a scrap pre-owned Hi-Fi amplifier and gutting its innards.

sagar said:
Thanks for the pointers linkuxguru. Was able to get a sample order of the OPA2132 from the TI site, no such luck with the Analog site. The NS LME49710NA looks really interesting too, will try that out too. Thanks

Does anybody know if National Semiconductor has free shipping for its samples to India? Thanks, cant seem to find any information on the National Semiconductor site thats why the question.

sagar said:
Does anybody know if National Semiconductor has free shipping for its samples to India? Thanks, cant seem to find any information on the National Semiconductor site thats why the question.
If they do ship you any samples, they'll ship them free-shipping to India. I'd received some samples from NS this way, a few years ago. I believe OnSemi charges USD 25 as shipping and the devices themselves are free. I guess different companies have different approaches.

However, I'm told NS does not always agree to ship samples to every applicant who requests them. I guess I got lucky.

Rgd OPTs, Viren Bakshi of Lyrita Audio seems to be getting his made
from Delta in Delhi. See this thread -

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-59-1496.html

Can someone help me find 2 rectifier tubes - 5AR4 or GZ34 ?
Apparently, BEL made tubes are available in India for approx
Rs 200-300 each, but I scoured the whole market in Hyderabad, and could
not find any.

Just checking if any "tubers" in Bangalore or Mumbai know a source
and can send me 2 tubes to Hyderabad.

- Prasad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.