[INDIA] Chassis, knobs, PCB makers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, Uncle Harry should be deeply moved- by the effort you've put into this.

If he has the photos up, maybe the word could be put out - "He's running 25mm knobs in the style two from the left on page 2"

If anyone wants some, they could contact him. This would maybe only during time that a lot of DIY knobs are required, such as when you are all about to finish your group amps.

My plan is to send the knob I retain to Uvodee after I take a pic of it on my new case. I will explain this to him. There might be a weeks delay on that one knob because my case is in transit, but all I really want is to get the photo to post.
I will also request that Peter return his to Uvodee too.

Aluminy or Aluminiumy? see- our pronounciation works better!

Suddenly I think I've discussed knobs enough for a lifetime....

Mark

Rahul said:
I have found Skoda to be the best for the purpose.
...As far as wiring is concerned you may not need to cut the harness as most of the players have a somewhat common socket for power etc and a short cable terminating into connector suitable for your car, this cable only needs to be changed. Adding other PAmps and subs is another thing.

I know. The Octavia was my 1st bet but it's rear seat was very cramped. I sit in the rear seat. I am driven by either my driver (Mon-Sat). Also I have to sit behind my driver who is 5'9" (as am I) as my son's car seat occupies the seat behind the front passenger. If however you can tell me how to retrofit a good stereo in a Corolla (H4) I would be interested. Toyota is however not giving me a price break on the car without the stereo (the stereo they give has tape + 6CD + 6 Speakers). http://www.toyotabharat.com/showroom/corolla/index.html has more detsils. i suggest we take this off line.

Variac said:
Navin: If you work next door to Uncle Harry... with your trusty digicam, post the images online for overnight approval?/B]

no problem. I could easily pop in. i am only 2 floors up. only he should tell me whem they are ready. anyway it seems he already got pics made. BTW his brother's photo studio is next door to his shop.

Variac said:
My plan is to send the knob I retain to Uvodee after I take a pic of it on my new case. I will explain this to him. There might be a weeks delay on that one knob because my case is in transit, but all I really want is to get the photo to post.
I will also request that Peter return his to Uvodee too.
Good idea. That way, you guys get to have your knobs and eat them too.

Aluminy or Aluminiumy? see- our pronounciation works better!
Yummy.

Suddenly I think I've discussed knobs enough for a lifetime....
Yes, I feel knobs coming out of my gills. I'm tired. Honestly. Maybe we'll all persuade Navin to carry the torch henceforth. The only that's kept me going so far is that if I can get some good business of some good-looking knobs for Harry, he'll make a few extra for me and my friends. Man! The things that a poor diyer has to do. :D

ajju said:

added to ur driving skills u also need a bit of show jumping wall climbing and mud plugging experiences...The damn place is all dug up and heavy construction work is in progress....
they say its supposed to be for flyovers...:)

yep, I did some mud bike racing on my bullet there some months back :eek:

Btw I'm attaching a map that might guide u to corrsons office.

Thanks a bunch. That's just what I needed!

- Ashwin

navin said:
no problem. I could easily pop in. i am only 2 floors up. only he should tell me whem they are ready.
Oh, his knobs are always ready. He carefully keeps one sample of each type of knob he's ever made, practically. He has velvet-lined jewel cases to hold these knobs. You can always go click these.

Now, after a lot of haranguing from me and my friends, he's realised that he needs to keep not one but ten knobs of each type as samples, because he has to send these knobs to prospective customers. They don't all walk in through his door in Dadar Prabhadevi... they can actually be out of India! What a revolutionary thought!! :D So he's now assiduously using his spare capacity to build ten each of all his more interesting knobs.

Hi!

Navin

I remember doing a few installation on Toyota about 3-4 years back. My friend here is the destributor for Skoda in these regions. I am sure his workshop will have manuals for other cars too. I will checkup.

Tarun

I may have to be in Mumbai a bit early than anticipated from 11th 14th on April. Will let you know more as plan is finalised.

Regards

Rahul

Custom-made boxes: one more data point

Recently, a friend of a friend stopped by, and saw the Dinrack boxes we have gotten made. His comments are interesting.

This gentleman is an engineer and has been an entrepreneur for about ten years, making and supplying very precise mechanical components to the defence and private sector. For these, he sometimes has to design his own tooling, machinery, and jigs. He's not in the consumer electronics sector, so there are certain things he doesn't know. (Brushed finish is one of them.) But he knows all about the prices of metals, making precise cutouts, and the cheapest sources for various services. To top it all, he's apparently very stingy... if you tell him you got something at 20% less than market price, he'll ask you why didn't you try for 25%. So, if he says something has been bought at a "good" price, you can be dead certain that you got a real bargain.

He saw the Dinrack boxes and was impressed. He said that given the small quantities (one box at a time, in our case), no one will do these precise cutouts at this price. He thought the price was certainly fair, probably a good bargain. He said that if one wants a plain box with no cutouts, then it may be possible to get it at a much lower price even in small quantities. But if you want precise cutouts done in one-off quantities, then the only chaps who can do it accurately are big workshops (like his, I guess), and those guys will charge a lot for small quantities. Moreover, he thought the finish was very good. So, all in all, it seems that the Dinrack deal is a "good" one.

So, in our gang, we've sort of decided to give up looking for good and inexpensive box makers who can do accurate cutouts; we'll stick with Dinrack. If any of you guys can help with pointers, that would be great.

Re: waiting

uvodee said:
I am waiting, waiting, waiting for some knobs
very patiently, very very patiently
The latest information that I have is that George from Bangalore has reached the US, and will be posting them to Variac in a day or two. It appears that it'll be seven more days by the time the knobs reach you. We wish things were faster, but this is the best that we could do. :)

And I take no responsibility if Variac, on seeing the knobs, decides to fall in love with them and refuses to send you any. Such things have been known to happen. :D Maybe we can then issue a joint fatwa in his name. :D

Need help with high-current DC plugs/sockets

Guys,

I am building one or two systems which will have the power amp in one box and the transfy-bridge-caps combo in another box. I need to connect the filtered DC from one box to another, using high-current power cable. In each case, I'll need three cores for the symmetric supply rails of power amps.

My question to all of you is: what kind of (cable-mount) plugs and (chassis-mount) sockets would you recommend for this? They must be rated for at least 10A steady, to be on the safe side. The IEC plugs/sockets are an obvious choice, but I don't want to use them for only one reason: the end-user may connect such a socket to 240VAC using a computer power cable sometime, by mistake. Also, I'd like a plug-socket combo which has some sort of locking if possible.

I've been looking at XLR plugs/sockets (they can usually handle up to 16A) and the 4-core version of Neutrik Speakon. I'll post some pics and price details in the next few posts, based on the info I've got from RS India.

BTW, I once did a cursory search through L.Road looking for XLR. I got XLR plugs, but no chassis-mount sockets. I'm sure these things should be available without too much trouble. If any of you have any idea of the costs of these things, can you tell me what it's like and where it's available?

What will your suggestions be?

Tarun

Some options: AXR/XLR compatible

This one is RS stock no.460-711 and related items. Rated current 16A per contact.
C460711-02.jpg

The next one is just XLR sockets, RS #156-2830 and friends. Solder tags at the back. I can use these with XLR plugs I buy from L.Road.
C156283-01.jpg

The third option is a set of plastic plugs and sockets (RS #486-246 and friends). The pins are made of brass, and the contact surfaces have silver over nickel plating. Rated 16A. I presume they'd work with normal off-the-shelf XLR plugs too. I got the prices of these plastic things from RS... the chassis mounted socket (#486-246) is Rs.131, and the plug (#486-296) is Rs.227.
W486246-01.jpg

If I have to buy from RS, these are the ones that seem the most attractive. They have adequate rating for any normal power amp or amps, and they are quite affordable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.