Stealth Capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the request is for a 'true believers' section where common sense, physics and good design practice can be discarded for people to exchange recipies?

Some may recall a few years ago when these discussions prompted a splinter group of skilled and knowledgeable members to leave in disgust and start a new web forum strictly limited to hard science audio engineering. I believe it lasted a couple of months before they tore each other apart and folded. Be honest, you need us. ;)

OK I have to get into this one last time. I tried to prevent the original thread from being hijacked by asking that people who do not believe in cap break in, need not respond. I have to ask, what was not clear in my request? How many who derailed this thread remember the original question?
You think it is snake oil, I think it is real. You claim science is on your side and so do I. For the record, I worked in the Materials lab at Johnson controls doing basic research on capacitors. So I do have some experience in this area.
My final comment on the science. Caps charge and discharge rates vary with materials, temperature and frequency. A large cap, like those used in audio would start at room temperature and end up up to 40C higher over a couple of hours. The outside of the cap would reach the higher temp sooner than the inner part. Some are saying that this could not lead to changes in the sound over time? This is pretty basic stuff. Please respond with the scientific explanation for why this would not change the sound of the cap.
So back to the question asked in the first place. I will soon install the Stealth caps in my system, replacing the Dynamicaps. I will report the results and take the expected flak for doing so.
Now I kind of feel cheap and dirty.

zaib4tsu said:
All I was suggesting is that this need drags out some threads unnecessarily.
Which is why I often avoid such threads. Yes, I often pass by cap or cable threads - but I don't pass by all of them. If I am to steer clear of all of them, could you guarantee that 'true believers' will keep away from threads where people are seeking an answer based on sound engineering?

kevinahcc20 said:
OK, so a safe space where all ideas have equal merit...except the ones I don't agree with. That seems to be a popular wish these days.
Until recently this forum was relatively free of snowflakes. Now when people hear an idea they disagree with they don't try to refute it (except, sometimes, by declaring "I refute that!" - which is not a refutation) or ignore it but complain that it should not be said.

johnmarkp said:
My final comment on the science. Caps charge and discharge rates vary with materials, temperature and frequency. A large cap, like those used in audio would start at room temperature and end up up to 40C higher over a couple of hours. The outside of the cap would reach the higher temp sooner than the inner part. Some are saying that this could not lead to changes in the sound over time? This is pretty basic stuff. Please respond with the scientific explanation for why this would not change the sound of the cap.
Which dielectric does this 'large cap' have? Is it temperature stable? Presumably this is external heating, not internal losses. Let us assume that for some reason someone has chosen a dielectric which varies somewhat with temperature - perhaps a bad choice for audio. The fact that different parts of the cap are at different temperatures will not do anything - the net result will be set by the average temperature. So the cap value may change a little. If it is a well-chosen coupling cap then there will be a small change in LF rolloff. Unlikely to be audible unless the cap sets the dominant LF rolloff - in which case it was a poor choice of dielectric for that role.

For the record, I once worked for a while with a university research group investigating dielectrics. Not sure what that has to do with anything, but it seems CVs are now being waved.

Please report what you believe you hear. Some of us will take note; some of us will not. Both options are accepted on this forum.

Everyone can have his own private version of anything he or she wishes. The universe might be one, but everyone of us has different perceptions of it and experiences that lead us to different assumptions. Sharing a subjective POV into a social place is another matter.
I have no wish however to develop this debate further, because of my skepticism that it might not lead to an useful outcome.

I read the first line and stoped. What you describe is DELUSION. Look it up. Your excuse for what you think you hear can be used for anything, from the earth is flat to I have a 6' rabbit friend I talk to.

I hope no one forces you to read further then.

But I'm glad you mentioned the earth. Today we educate ourselves that it has a round shape.
I suspect a lot of scientific efforts were put in the past in order to prove this theory. Much more than typing on internet forums or working in a recording studio.
Could have Plato and Aristotle been blamed for delusion? It's possible, but hey. I have no proof anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.