Linear PSU. Which rectifier ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Great find, Tony! Although they see fit to spec the capacitance at Vreverse = 4V, what snubber designers need to know is the capacitance at Vreverse = Zero. I eyeball extrapolated their curve (red part is my guess) and got 90-100pF or so, at zero volts.

Attachments

• jcap.png
    jcap.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 232
For a <40V DC output with <0.5 ampere load, I suggest you include these rectifier diodes among your pool of candidates
  • SBYV28-100 (100V, 3.5A, axial)
  • SBYV27-200 (200V, 2.0A, axial)
  • UF4004 (400V, 1.0A, axial)
  • MUR460 (600V, 4.0A, axial)
  • MBR1100 (100V, 1.0A, axial)
In my own personal testing, I found these to be among the best performers, i.e. among the softest of recoveries. You could spend more money and purchase 8 amp rated, TO-220 packaged, soft recovery diodes, but why bother?

Hi ! sorry to jump in but thanks for the very useful list.
I have the same issue. Selection of diodes for a linear power supply.
Just one question.
The list above is also ranking the parts with the best on top ?
Because I have found MUR460 for a very good price on ebay.
But if the more expensive Vishay SBYV28 series is much better I could do a little sacrifice :eek:
Thanks a lot again, gino :D

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I have some SBYV27-200 diodes left over after completing all tests. I paid USD 0.37 at DigiKey for each one because I bought Quantity=10.

I wold be glad to sell you four of these diodes for USD 0.10 each {below DigiKey's price}, if you will pay the cost of shipping to Norway: USD 13.50. Send me a PM with your exact and precise shipping address, and I will give you my PayPal user name.

DigiKey is an authorized distributor and I personally guarantee that these parts are original, non-counterfeit, brand new devices. Unlike the garbage sold on eBay.

Why don't you download the article from Linear Audio's website? It costs EUR 0,99 and contains a table of all 48 diodes showing their performance and ranking them from #1 (best) to #48 (worst). Maybe when you study the data you will decide that #1 and #3 have only tiny differences, but you prefer #3 because it's cheaper or higher voltage rating or because it's easier to obtain in Scandinavia. Don't be lazy.

I have some SBYV27-200 diodes left over after completing all tests. I paid USD 0.37 at DigiKey for each one because I bought Quantity=10.
I wold be glad to sell you four of these diodes for USD 0.10 each {below DigiKey's price}, if you will pay the cost of shipping to Norway: USD 13.50. Send me a PM with your exact and precise shipping address, and I will give you my PayPal user name.
DigiKey is an authorized distributor and I personally guarantee that these parts are original, non-counterfeit, brand new devices. Unlike the garbage sold on eBay.
Why don't you download the article from Linear Audio's website? It costs EUR 0,99 and contains a table of all 48 diodes showing their performance and ranking them from #1 (best) to #48 (worst). Maybe when you study the data you will decide that #1 and #3 have only tiny differences, but you prefer #3 because it's cheaper or higher voltage rating or because it's easier to obtain in Scandinavia. Don't be lazy.

Hi ! thanks a lot indeed for the very kind and valuable advice.
I will download the article for sure and study the results.
I am just playing with some linear psu kits to begin with something.
I will be back after the reading.
Thanks a lot again, gino

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.