Vintage Oil Caps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2004, 06:32 AM   #1
lpd is offline lpd  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Vintage Oil Caps

I picked up a bag of used vintage "Mack" oil caps rated 600v and all different values ie. .01, .2, .5, ect. They physically seem ok, but I don't have a capacitor tester to test them. I hear oil caps generally last a very long time with minimal leakage.

Any opinions on these?
Old 7th February 2004, 06:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You do have a capacitor tester, everyone with a battery does, charge one up using your... battery charger on 12volts or 6 volts, then short the connections with an insulated screwdriver, from a distance, if you see a spark, then that means at least some of it's charge is being held, which is usally a very good indication that the capacitor is allright...

Make sure you connect one wire to the charger, then tap one lead onto the other terminal, correct polarity only!!

Then turn off the battery charger and hold the screwdriver across the terminals...

If you don't see a spark then there must be a short somewhere inside the capacitor and the cap could be useless..

DO NOT touch the terminals at this time... or any time for that matter with your bare fingers or body.

I've found older and new PIO caps to be almost indestructable..

There is another method however...

Grab a cap and make sure it's discharged.. then set your analog multimeter to ohms and place the probes the correct way around, to charge the capacitor, then remove them and reverse the polarity, if the meter goes down then you have a discharging capacitor, if it stays on the righthand side of the display then you have a dead shorted capacitor.

Oh and using a raw 240volt source to charge or anything high voltage is asking for trouble.

I myself have 6 russian PIO caps from the 1970's and a couple from the 1940's all of them work as good as the day they were made...
Old 8th February 2004, 06:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
I hear oil caps generally last a very long time with minimal leakage.
That true, which is why I'd rather invest in PIO caps for tube PSUs than electrolytics.

Check out ASC PIOs for larger values.

Another advantage of IO caps is that they have excellent damping capability.

Cheers,
Old 8th February 2004, 10:49 AM   #4
Account Disabled

I am one of those old farts that lived through days where all sizeable caps were oil caps and electrolytic was the new found God. We were urged to use electrolytics for their better sound, and how much oil caps sucked soundwise.

now, it is all upside down.

Is this thing more like fashion that cycles through every 10 years? or it is more of "anything rare and expensive must be good"? Has anyone tried to use air caps also? I got a couple of them in car battery size boxes for use in high-voltage transmission lines (12kv then). Would they be good for audio?
Old 8th February 2004, 11:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well they're certianly better for reliability! I would outfit an entire amp's power supply just upon that fact alone.

I'm not sure about the sounding of them as I haven't had my hands on a PIO decoupled-coupled amp as of yet.

I will however post my 'review' when and if I get my amp going which has 3 PIO caps per side in decoupling stages, I don't think it would make much of a difference in that job tho.

Other than that the four other caps in the amplifier design are 'Polyester'...

It would certianly be in my interest to replace those four with PIO and see how they go, soundwise.

Cheers.
Old 10th February 2004, 10:38 AM   #6
mcs is offline mcs  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Layberinthius
I've found older and new PIO caps to be almost indestructable..
Some caps may be indestructable - but not all. The Suzuki oil caps used in a lot of Japanese equipment (like my mother's Sansui) get very bad with age. They turn into resistors

I replaced a lot of caps in that Sansui to get it working...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Old 10th February 2004, 10:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by millwood

now, it is all upside down.

Is this thing more like fashion that cycles through every 10 years?
Yes!!...You are right!

See here in the forum...first all the people build the Pass designs...now the gainclones...what's next??
Quote:
I am one of those old farts
Me to!!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!