CuantumFuse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Impossible to rework or repair is not very green

So in the commercial world how many units do you think really get repaired and how many just get dumped with no fault found.... time is money and fault finding takes a lot of time, so unless it is a persistent fault units are binned. Getting things right with the production is the way to do it.
On the subject of green, I use an old boring mobile phone, had it for many years... around me I see people with new models every other day it seems, never mind all the other disposable electronics around us.
The main use of this form of copper would be for Class 3 assemblies (high reliability) where the risk from using lead free solder and tin whiskers causing a failure is to risky.
We are speculating about the reflow and rework temperatures so I for one am not concerned about this, as said it wont be used on probably 90% of all assemblies, class 3 assemblies are a small minority of world electronics these days, and it is here that the benefits will be important, not for the throw away assemblies we are surrounded by.
My Audiolab 8000A is 21 years old, I have a calculator from 1977 both still work.... todays electronics probably wont function is 10 years or maybe even 5.
The green comes into it with reduced reflow temps, but again it will probably only be used in a niche market... 6 Billion discrete components are placed on assemblies every day in the world, that's a minimum of 12 billion solder joints!

In the race to make phones smarter than fish, apple "forgot" about the heat given of by the legs of their cpu-chip. so it melted the solder and oviously disconnected itself.
reparing it was no more difficult, than replacing the battery.
It upped sales because the screen was smashed anyway, so people bought an improved model. partly because getting it to work, would leave you phoneless for months and it would be cheaper to buy a brand spanking new one for a $+charges.
This new wonder would then last as long as an S model was designed to stop working and the whole merrygoround could start another incarnation.
my phone is not new, but it is so smart, that it doesn't mattewr what I do to it.

In the race to make phones smarter than fish, apple "forgot" about the heat given of by the legs of their cpu-chip. so it melted the solder and oviously disconnected itself.
reparing it was no more difficult, than replacing the battery.
It upped sales because the screen was smashed anyway, so people bought an improved model. partly because getting it to work, would leave you phoneless for months and it would be cheaper to buy a brand spanking new one for a $+charges.
This new wonder would then last as long as an S model was designed to stop working and the whole merrygoround could start another incarnation.
my phone is not new, but it is so smart, that it doesn't mattewr what I do to it.

Rather bad design practice, a thermal camera and some burn in testing should have spotted the hot spots... :)

Car electronics unfortunately use lead free solder, what many are unaware of is that the 2013 amendment /update to RoSH removed the exemption from medical electronics.
Tin whiskers is the main concern...
SCART (from Syndicat des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radiorécepteurs et Téléviseurs – Radio and Television Receiver Manufacturers' Association) is a French-originated standard and associated 21-pin connector for connecting audio-visual (AV) equipment.
Need I say more...designed by committee and probably the most unreliable, bodged up connector design ever. Solder fractures were common as were many other problems, the only uncommon feature was it actually making contact:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.