1/4" headphone jacks - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2015, 10:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 1/4" headphone jacks

I recently bought a fixer upper preamp with seemingly few problems. One deficiency though is a broken headphone jack and it is not repairable. For a replacement, I am wondering if I can use one from a tape deck. They both have 3 leads connected to them but will they function the same? By that I mean will the jack from the tape deck have the ability to mute the pre amp's output once a headphone plug is inserted?
Old 15th June 2015, 11:33 PM   #2
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62vauxhall View Post
will the jack from the tape deck have the ability to mute the pre amp's output once a headphone plug is inserted?
There are different versions, some with, and some without, the switching function.
Look carefully at the construction of the jacks behind the panels to see if they are built the same way.
Old 16th June 2015, 12:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It would be hard to tell that. The broken one went to pieces and the pieces are long gone and the intact one is encased in plastic. If there are variants, I suppose the only was to see is connecting the good one. I can hook it up using jumpers when I get home and see what happens when I stick in the plug.
Old 16th June 2015, 03:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well that would have been too convenient. Just tried the ex-tape deck jack and it does not shut off signal to the main pre-outs. So, will be visiting the two local parts stores to see if they have something that fits the bill.

Hide this!Advertise here!