Fake ELNA LAO 10000uf/80V from E-Bay seller

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
WARNINGS for "sharpseller2000" on E-Bay.
He sends out fake ELNA LAO 10000uF/80V capacitors.
On the picture in the advertisment he shows almost look-like-real ELNA LAO, but when you get it, it is a completely different capacitor!!
Marking on the fake is ELNA LA5 but color of the sleeve and print is not by ELNA standard.
After cutting of the insulation pad on the top, there is a deeply pressed cross on the aluminium can top. Not the ELNA sword like rupture engravings.
(You can also see the marker pen mark, where the new counterfeit sleeve negative should be)

Picture No 1 is what sharpseller shows in his advertisment
Picture No 2-4 is what you get when you buy it
Picture No 5, 6 and 8 is how ELNA LAO should look like.
Picture No 7 is a real ELNA LA5 capacitor in black sleeve with white printing

Price I paid for 10 pcs is USD80. I have had a long discussion with him, but he don't admit they are fakes. Just other Japanese ELNA LAO he says, because his supplier says so.
Even when the fakes he sent have LA5 printed in gold printing on them and have no ELNA can.

The last "offer" I got from him is a USD30 + postage USD32 in refund, if I return the fakes to him!! That means I would lose USD50 and have no capacitors at all!! And I dont belive at all, he will refund anythiong. Just try to stretch out the time so I will miss the opportunity to give him a negative.

"hi there,
refund will be just fine as i always do .
but my supplier is asking products return then i can get my money back. to be honest, i may not be as professional as you are, but i trust my supplier. will find out what is happening later.
before it .should i give you half refund $15 first? and after products return, then refund the another $15 half and the return postage as well.
hope we can solve the issue, don't worry about it.
regards
Harry"

I don"t trust him about anything, have now given him a negative feedback and dont expect any refund.

I also appriciate if other cheated DIY:ers here, share their experiances of other E-Bay sellers in this thread

JohanB

P.S.
Mesurements of the faked caps shows around 8200uF and they withstand 80VDC + 10% without leaking more than 10uA. ESR is around 50mOhm. What I can understand they are of some Nichicon series (because the cross stamp) or other no-brand Chinese manufacture.

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    432.5 KB · Views: 2,340
  • RealElnaLao.jpg
    RealElnaLao.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 1,187
  • RealElnaLA5.jpg
    RealElnaLA5.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,259
  • RealElna-4.jpg
    RealElna-4.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,253
  • RealElna-3.jpg
    RealElna-3.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 2,219
  • FakeElna 004.jpg
    FakeElna 004.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 2,212
  • FakeElna 003.jpg
    FakeElna 003.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 2,248
  • FakeElna 002.jpg
    FakeElna 002.jpg
    765.8 KB · Views: 2,319
What strikes me most about your caps is the absence of "For Audio" on the sleeve, yet these are sold als for audio types.

What I'm wondering about is this: perhaps this is a standard Elna, like in your picture #7, but they somehow painted gold paint on the white printing to make it resemble a "For Audio" cap.
The different looking cross in the top may not mean this is not a genuine Elna, maybe the just changed something in the production process (different production site, different die for pressing the aluminium cans, etc...).

At this point I'd probably try to carefully scrape off some of the gold paint to see if there is white paint under the gold.

EU ruling allows anyone using distance buying to return the product for any reason and receive a full refund.
If items are faulty or incorrect, one has a good chance of receiving a full refund with no return cost.
Open a case with ebay and paypal as soon as you can.
Beware, they may have been produced in a different factory and be the correct item but I would not be happy to receive a "Not as described" product and would insist on replacement.

You did not receive the goods as per description. Can you put in a claim at Paypal?

Thanks, I've opened a case with E/Bay&PayPal now and will return the items according to PayPal guarantee.

I starded this thread to warn other DIY'ers of this seller as he don't ship the item on the picture and the item he ships is probably substandard or fake and not of ELNA LAO/type.
There are most probably many fakes from other sellers of ELNA LAO's to, but I've only experiance with this one.

JohanB

Did some more research. Take a closer look at the photos, at the finer print.

What this so called sharpseller has in his photograph is an Elna cap of the CEW-series. Apparently, this is a discontinued series (my 1994 Marantz PM80SE had the CE-series, also a "For Audio").

Already mentioned by JohanB are the differing colours of the markings between different series. A quick look at the current datasheets of the LAO-series (i.e. the type advertized by sharpseller) and the LA5-series confirm that the former has gold print on a black sleeve, the latter white print on black sleeve.

Also look at the data in the sheets. The LA5-series has a 10,000uF/80V cap of 35x50 mm size available. However, the LAO-series has no such capacity/voltage rating combination available at all.

Use this evidence to strengthen your case.

Edit: the gold LA5 print on your caps sticks out like a sore thumb. Man, these counterfeiters didn't even bother!
If the ESR-measurement was taken at 120 Hz, then 50 mOhm is rather a lot. Even the 8,200 uF/80 V LA5 has a lower ESR at 120 Hz (usually ESR is specced at 100 kHz, but Elna used 120 Hz). Probably some cheap knock-off hiding under that nice looking (but fake) sleeve...

Last edited:
Don't bother returning the caps. Just make a Paypal claim, and you'll automatically get your money back (including shipping costs).

Discard the caps and never buy electronics components on Ebay again. Lesson learned. Everything there is fake. Everything. ;)

I purchased 4PC 10 000uF 63V For Audio Elna. At his add on the picture was real but I received fake ones. Was marked as Made in Japan noth Thailand.
I reported to eBay he sold me fake items different what he advertised.
Ebay helped me to open a claim (not Pay Pal) because is counterfeit he supposed to pay for the return to if he wants the item back.
The guy refunded me with out I return those garbage he sent me.
Only he asked me not to leave negative feedback or warn other people.
When I open the package right away I knew those are fake.
To return it from Canada with tracking number the cheapest $44. I explained all these to the eBay assistant.
Next time you receive fake parts go to eBay and not to Pay Pal.
Greetings

I purchased 4PC 10 000uF 63V For Audio Elna. At his add on the picture was real but I received fake ones. Was marked as Made in Japan noth Thailand.
I reported to eBay he sold me fake items different what he advertised.
Ebay helped me to open a claim (not Pay Pal) because is counterfeit he supposed to pay for the return to if he wants the item back.
The guy refunded me with out I return those garbage he sent me.
Only he asked me not to leave negative feedback or warn other people.
When I open the package right away I knew those are fake.
To return it from Canada with tracking number the cheapest $44. I explained all these to the eBay assistant.
Next time you receive fake parts go to eBay and not to Pay Pal.
Greetings

Thanks for sharing your experiance here.
But I and I think all other DIY:ers here want to know the name of the seller.
As he sent you obvious faked components, I think you are not obliged to protect his E-Bay-ID here in the forum, just because he returned your money.
The serious thing is that he tried to cheat you from the beginning :mad: and will try to cheat many more DIY:ers.

As the seller "sharpseller2000" of the fake caps I got, refused to refund and made nonsense communications, I have opened an E-Bay case and have been asked to return the 10 counterfeit caps under E-Bay's "Money-Back-Guarantee" & "It doesn't match the listing"
I sent them back a couple of days ago.

I've also already given him a negative feedback to warn others.
He still today has 5 different ads on E-Bay for this fakes, in numbers of 1, 2, 4, 5, & 10pcs.

I'll continue to inform the forum of the progress of this.

JohanB:)

Guys, I just emailed Yonggan81 in ebay and politely asked him to stop selling us fakes and give us diyers the real thing. Maybe if he gets a few reminders that we a know what hes up to he will stop. If you do this please be polite and respectful, its possible he has unknowingly bought fake items.

Auch! I bought 2 of those :( They even tested 10 000uF on my tester! I'm guessing there is a lower voltage cap inside. I use mine with 21V and they haven't popped yet. Please post a picture here if you decide to open one up:)

Cut the plastic from the end, very likely not even Made byElna

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 1,070
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 970
Any 10 000uF Elna for Audio under $10 is definitely fake. Not to talk they offer free shipping

I meant cut the plastic from the top, 95% sure not even a product from Elna
Cheap industrial type caps re heat shirked- take a look at the latters of my caps.

The original made in Thailand and has no plastic on the top, also it has the Elna symbol.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.