Fake ELNA LAO 10000uf/80V from E-Bay seller

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
He also asked me to get the refund not to leave negative feedback or write about the product originality.

That's what they usually do when the fake products are discovered by customer. Apart from electronic parts, I got faked CD's too. The seller refunded me and asked the the same thing. However, I stated the problem and gave him a neutral feedback. Most fake products are from China and so is the seller. Stay away form eBay or Amazon.

pics..nichicon KW KZ Series

...here it comes....

Attachments

• Nichicon KZ and KW serie_1.jpg
    Nichicon KZ and KW serie_1.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 510
  • Nichicon KZ and KW serie_2.jpg
    Nichicon KZ and KW serie_2.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 513
You right Tom

I just ordered 8PC Cornell Dubilier capacitors from US
With shipping cost and tax it cost almost as much than 8 PC Elna For Audio at least I know these are not fake. Made in USA and purchased from US.
These seller offered me good price on the caps and he claim it is originally ordered from Elna supplier from China but I can not trust in that.
6pcs 10000uF 63V ELNA for Audio Lao for HiFi Audio Capacitors Thailand Made | eBay
You see my previous post how they re-sleeve the cheap capacitor to fancy audio type.
These CND not audio caps but that not mean they can't be good
Cheers

Hi, gaborbela!
Could You please give any information where exactely to order this capacitors from Cornell Dubilier?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I've got some caps stated "ELNA LAO 63V 10000uf" from this guy
2018 Black Bolsa Elna For Ina's Top For Audio Stereo Filtering 10000uf /63v 30*50mm Electrolytic Capacitors Free Shippping-in Capacitors from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The sword is there but Elna LAO 30x50mm would be 4700uF only
http://www.elna.co.jp/en/capacitor/alumi/catalog/pdf/lao_e_p191.pdf
so I guess it might be re-sleeved Elna LAH
http://www.elna.co.jp/en/capacitor/alumi/catalog/pdf/lah_e_p155-157.pdf
30x50mm 63V is indeed 10000uF - check datasheet table
it's ok caps, just not for audio series as printed on PVC sleeve.

Attachments

• IMG_7094_cr.jpg
    IMG_7094_cr.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_7095_cr.JPG
    IMG_7095_cr.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 602
Thanks for sharing your experiance here.
But I and I think all other DIY:ers here want to know the name of the seller.
As he sent you obvious faked components, I think you are not obliged to protect his E-Bay-ID here in the forum, just because he returned your money.
The serious thing is that he tried to cheat you from the beginning :mad: and will try to cheat many more DIY:ers.

As the seller "sharpseller2000" of the fake caps I got, refused to refund and made nonsense communications, I have opened an E-Bay case and have been asked to return the 10 counterfeit caps under E-Bay's "Money-Back-Guarantee" & "It doesn't match the listing"
I sent them back a couple of days ago.

I've also already given him a negative feedback to warn others.
He still today has 5 different ads on E-Bay for this fakes, in numbers of 1, 2, 4, 5, & 10pcs.

This seller changes his name from time to time in order to delet traces. Pay few $ and get yourself the real thing.

I'll continue to inform the forum of the progress of this.

JohanB:)

Ordered a batch of the 'Elna LAO 10,000uf 80v crapacitors from ebay seller: bsitsgood

The items arrived damaged and the crap printing quality on the sleeves were quite obvious that they were fake. The physical dimensions measure 35mm dia. x 50mm high, capacitance does measure to around 9,500uf and they do have a bit of weight to them.

When I questioned the seller about their authenticity, this is what they responded:

"I saw your feedback, but the capacitors is original elna, though you can not find the datasheet from Elna site, and you can not find the datasheet of all Elna capacitos from ELNA site either, those audio type capacitors are specially made, only can be sold to some special dealer"

Surreee, special dealer eh.....!

Facts: Elna datasheets for LAO series only provides a 4,700uf at 80v with a can dimension of 35mm dia and 50mm tall.
At best these are either re sleeved LA5 with the same electrical specs.

The ebay seller even suggested I revise my negative feedback and then they will issue me a refund.

Have opened a case with Ebay and is currently on-going.
Will provide 'deeper' pictures once the case is settled.

jsSA2id.jpg

Jqpd3Ug.jpg

pvjia7o.jpg

I understand not everyone wants to spend a lot of money but I try to buy my parts through Digikey. There are other trusted vendors I'm sure.

When I consider the time and effort it takes to build a project, I'd rather spend what I need to get known good parts. There are plenty of projects which don't need lots of expensive parts. Many branded parts are not that much better than generic parts from reputable manufacturers.

Counterfeit Product Policy | DigiKey

Digi-Key Counterfeit Policy

Objective

To preclude introduction of counterfeit product into our supply chain through strict avoidance, mitigation, and disposition processes.

Standards

Digi-Key Corporation designs its requirements, practices, and methods related to parts management, supplier management, procurement, and response strategies to adhere to the intent of counterfeit electronics parts standard SAE AS5553.

Purchase of Product

Counterfeit product has become a growing concern in customers' supply chains as customers or distributors secure low cost alternative sources. Digi-Key is committed to obtaining only the highest quality products for our customers. Digi-Key purchases product only through our Authorized Manufacturers and Suppliers, thereby ensuring that product is new, authentic, and fully warrantable under the direct supplier and that accurate up-to-date technical information is readily available. Digi-Key does not purchase product from sources other than authorized manufacturers and suppliers. Digi-Key does not purchase refurbished product for re-sale. Authorized manufacturers and suppliers are continually assessed via review of GIDEP product alerts and supplier quality data to determine past performance.

Traceability of Product

Digi-Key maintains traceability to the OEM for purchases from Authorized Suppliers, retaining the original purchase orders and other receiving documentation, including Manufacturers’ Certificate of Conformance, for the required document retention periods.

Return of Product

Digi-Key follows a strict returns policy that includes:

Confirmation of the traceability of the product from Digi-Key to the customer including original purchase date, part number, and quantity.
Incoming inspection to assure that all parts are undamaged and in original packaging.
Testing for static and moisture levels where applicable and rebaking if necessary.
Broken manufacturer's pack are reconfirmed as authentic by Digi-Key's Product Managers in conjunction with the original manufacturer using various authentication techniques.
Only parts that meet these rigorous standards are allowed to be returned to inventory.
Reporting

Digi-Key reports all occurrences of counterfeit parts, as appropriate, to internal organizations, manufactures, customers, GIDEP, and criminal investigative authorities.

ELNA 10000uf 63V for Audio - Fake ?

Hello.
I normally buy such things from Mouser, but this time needed two 10000uf 63V caps and bought them from UK based eBay Seller.
The title clearly says original - "2 x Original ELNA Lao 10000uf 63V Audio Top Power Electrolytic Filter Capacitor"

I got them today and I have my doubts :whazzat:
The finishing and printing definitely look fake to me.
They look different from the photo with black plastic 'cap' on the top.
There is no any writhing, printing or coding on the other side ? :confused:
Their dimensions: Length 52mm, diameter 35.2mm, Weight - 60g

Measured they look fine, just for comparison I added two additional 10000uf (50v) caps that i got here from Mouser.

I just wonder if they are really fake and contact the seller or keep them ?
Any way to clearly prove it ?
Any hints are welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC03447.jpg
    DSC03447.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 248
  • DSC03446.jpg
    DSC03446.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC03445.jpg
    DSC03445.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC03444.jpg
    DSC03444.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC03443.jpg
    DSC03443.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC03442.jpg
    DSC03442.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC03441.jpg
    DSC03441.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 288
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 270
I have some of those "ELNA" capacitors. I tested them for leakage current and capacitance. In both tests, those capacitors I have passed well within specs.
"Elna" is a brand but it does not mean the capacitors are made in a particular factory or even in Japan. It seems that many of the more main-stream brands produce at sub-contractors, even in China.
Then the question becomes, what is genuine and what is fake?
If you want the best chance that components are genuine, buy at reputed suppliers. If you buy at less trusted sources, the risk of ending up with "a fake" is no-doubt bigger. As long as the component is performing within specs, you will never know for certain if it is genuine or fake. It could even be a genuine that was discarded in test due to non-compliance with the specs.
How do I know if a banana with a Chiquita sticker on it is really a Chiquita banana?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.