MUR860 rectifying bridge question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would the MUR860's be able to rectify a 300VA 2x24VAC toroid in a dual rectifying bridge setup? Would it need cooling? The MUR860's have an IF(AV) of 8A, and the toroid will give (150/24=) 6,25A per secondary.

What do you think?

It is going to be used in a subwoofer-amp with linkwitz transform circuit, so I think the bridges will have plenty to do (because of the extra gain at lower freqencies) ;)

Parallel operation .

This is probably a silly question.
The MUR1660CT and MUR3020PT have their anodes tied together. Can they be used in parallel ?
To make a bridge they will need a device with cathodes connected together. I can't find such a device in this range.
Otherwise they have to be used in parallel !
Have I overlooked something ?
Thanks.

peranders said:
The be short: Just tie the two anodes together, then you will have the diodes in parallel.

The two diodes will have slightly different turn-off characteristics, even when they are in the same package. By parallelling these, you may be removing a little of the advantages gained by the use of soft recovery types. The two diodes will switch off at different times, thus prolonging the noise generated.

The use of a single diode with higher current capability would be better.

James

nemestra wrote:
The two diodes will have slightly different turn-off characteristics, even when they are in the same package. By parallelling these, you may be removing a little of the advantages gained by the use of soft recovery types. The two diodes will switch off at different times, thus prolonging the noise generated.

Please remember the application (subwoofer). I don't think any swiching garbage will be heard when used <100Hz. In other words, go parallell if you must. Or, even better, use a standard rectifier bridge4 good for at least 25A, it should be cheaper.

/Niclas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.