Shop closing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is not a sales pitch, anything I want to try to sell here I will put in the appropriate section below.

I have closed my pro audio repair shop and want to liquidate the assets. I have the usual decades of accumulated parts and so on. Plus I am a pack rat, saving all manner of things "in case they might be useful". So I have a large box of power cords I snipped off old cassette decks or VCRs when I stripped them down, and screws and nuts galore, for example.

What I would like some insight into is what sorts of things should I not bother to try to sell. I mean to me everything here has some sort of value. Dead stereo receivers that were stripped, because if I repaired the blown channel or whatever and sold it, I might get $40, less than my cost of repair. SO I have a pile of saved power transformers. I might put them up for yard sale prices locally, I sure don't want to ship them. I have plenty of old service manuals. 1976 Pioneer? Sure. I used to save every knob I could. Probably just pitch all of those. A big bag of miscellaneous turntable parts, various brands, things like spindles, those round bullseye touch switches, rubber tires. Oh just stuff, you all probably have the same sort of junk.

So some local kid might like a power transformer or two for a solid state project, but in general, what would be a waste of time and energy to sell? I know we have Craigs list and ebay for selling, as well as flea market sections of forums like this. I don't have the energy to sit all day at a ham fest. And I guess for that matter, what sorts of thing I might think were pointless would someone else hope to find at a shop sale? Old parts catalogs?

I already know what to do about test equipment, and will try to find a home for my service library within the pro audio community. Accumulated files from decades of authorized warranty center relationships with various brands.

Maybe I am overthinking it.

Oh I fully intend to sell the things that I know people need. For example I have a big box of NOS RCA40409 and 40410 transistors. At least in old solid state guitar amps, people need those. And so on.

I have been clearing the drawers, and have some very specific parts, and instead of selling them piecemeal, I think I will gather them. I have a drawer for stage lighting gear. And a have a basic controller unit. I think I'll list the controller as an as-is for parts or repair and Include the spare ICs, couple of small boards for dimmers, and some hardware as all one lot. Probably sell off "resistor collection", I sure don't intend to sell 100k one time and 47k another. I have a two volume IC Master from geez maybe 30 years ago. Not a lot of use for contemporary stuff, but guys working on vintage can identify and find specs for odd ICs in it. Someone may actually want that, or then maybe they won't.

Enzo, I have found craigslist to be immensely helpful. When people know they can go get it, and they know what they want - very easy.

On ebay some gear heads (car people) like to take a bunch of parts, put them in a box and sell the lot "as is" once they pick out what they want, they re-list the lot with maybe some stuff they don't need anymore and do the same.

I am looking for a useable scope...

I hope this is a sign of a happy retirement and not a sign of a bad economy and disposable audio.

And I need a signal generator, frequency counter, spectrum analyzer, distortion analyzer.

Those power transformers ARE probably worth selling on eBay and shipping!

If you have the time, anything will sell on eBay, then make an "assortment" of what's left and sell it in big lots.

I sure hope this means you'll have more time for helping us newbies as you have so graciously and generously done in the past; your advice has been like gold.

IMHO that's the really wonderful thing about eBay; if there is one person in the whole world who needs what you have, that's where they will look first. I think that ads for items which are "free for the cost of shipping" are also free listings? At least they were at one time.

Craigslist is for large things too expensive to ship, as it's geographically arranged. eBay is international.

When I was between contracts, when I was in danger of losing my house, when I had to move coast-to-coast...I was able to liquidate excess 'stuff' quickly. If you have more time, it's a more convenient slow & steady income stream on your own schedule and at your convenience. Packing and shipping isn't fun, especially when UPS delivers to the wrong house with an overhand toss. But it's actually nice to downsize and lighten your load somewhat. I'm recovering financially, and replacing a lot of what I sold with more compact tools. Life goes on.

I too hope this is a long deserved retirement after many years in the biz. Sad to see any business close due to a bad economy or something personal. Michigan especially has had a rough go of it for many years - being the industrial giant they were in the past.

You wouldn't happen to have one of the Pioneer lighted Elite marketing signs would you? :)

Enzo,

I am sorry for the world that you're closing your shop!

What a shame. Losing a good one here! It's hard to find good guys like you with all that experience!

I haven't been here in a while and was thinking of you because I bought a used Hartke HA3500 Mosfet. I think I remembered you saying somewhere about mods that could be done. And then I see this thread!

OUCH OUCH OUCH!

I hope you'll go and get into some real trouble fun now! :eek::eek:

And no you're not over thinking it. This is just how you are and don't want anything to go to waste! And that's remarkable!

Thank you Enzo!

Enzo,

Sorry to hear that you are closing.

Thinking of some of your vintage resistors,
transistors, transformers and such.

Thinking folks need different stuff.

Why not do some "grab bags" of parts.

For example...

Say you have 20 boxes of resistors of different values.

Grab some baggies and put 20 of each value in baggies
and sell those as a hobby or DIY lot.

You only need to write the values once then go print
or make copies and put the content slip in eveyr bag.

If you have some really nice hi end stuff....Guarantee
at least two will be included in each grab bag.

This helps you get rid of some stuff you know know wont
sell like 19K resistors or something.

I've found it's nice to have a selection instead of 1000
of one item.

Same with transistors, etc.

OR

Another thing I"ve seen is take picutures and post on
photobucket and post links to it ask folks make offers.

Transformer, might be different unless you have LOTs
and LOTS of them.

Just brainstorming here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.