Which is the best potentiometer to buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I replaced an Alps motorized pot. with a Khozmo attenuator. The stepped attenuator sounded quite a bit better.

Attachments

• IMG_3430.JPG
    IMG_3430.JPG
    644.6 KB · Views: 668

I used these in rebuilding my SWTPC Tiger .01s; I would have preferred a single pot but the price is reasonable and the build quality and 'feel' is good. They are compact and a easy replacement for old comp pots, though the shaft diameter is smaller than many original parts

I can't say I heard a difference in quality. It's not the optimum configuration like a ladder attenuator would be, but it should be a definite improvement over the original composition pots, just as a metal film replacing a carbon comp resistor would be. I'd definitely consider using them again in future upgrades and projects even though the number of steps is somewhat limited.

I installed a ladder attenuator in a friend's tube preamp to replace the really old carbon volume and balance pots. There was a noticeable improvement in detail and clarity; it sounds better than my Hafler SE100 JFET preamp.

Too bad there aren't bulk foil resistor pots in this form factor, but no doubt they'd be extremely expensive.

Potentiometers are noisy, fragile, and a source of problems, and I want to solve them.
Pots become noisy when they are asked to pass DC. Curiously, many audio designers send a little DC into their pots and then complain that they become noisy. As always in audio, get the circuit right and then worry about components.

Having found that pots are 'noisy', those same people then replace them with switched attenuators - only to find that they get clicks. The solution (as for the pots) is to add coupling caps so no DC reaches the pot/switch. Once the circuit is right, it doesn't really matter how you implement your variable potential divider network.

"Once the circuit is right, it doesn't really matter how you implement your variable potential divider network."

I use transformers, no caps. Still no DC on potential divider. The pot wasn't noisy and the stepped attenuator doesn't click (the stepper motor does make noise). That said, in terms of sound quality there was no contest when I replaced an Alps pot with a stepped attenuator. This was in a line stage with a balanced shunt type attenuator.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.