Lite-On TOSLink Transmitter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2015, 11:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Lite-On TOSLink Transmitter

Trying to use a toslink transmitter made by Lite-On, purchased from Digi-key, p/n 160-1759-ND.

I'm trying to tap the signal between the output of a TI Aureus chip, and the input of a Cirrus DAC, CS4382. There are actually four signal lines, each is a stereo pair of serial audio data, I assume its PCM format. For now I'm just testing with one pair (front left/right).

I wired the Lite-On to 3.3V and ground with a decoupling capacitor. Then connected one of the stereo pair signals mentioned above to VIN on the lite-on toslink transmitter.

The transmitter "turns on" when there is a source signal, and turns off when there isn't. But my external DAC can't lock onto the optical output.

Have I incorrectly assumed that the signal is in a format that a standard commercial DAC can read on its optical input, or is it more likely that my TOSLink circuit is bad? The output of the TI chip has a 33ohm resistor on it. I haven't put an inductor in series on the Vdd, but from what I've read, that shouldn't be a major problem? Anyone have experience with the Lite-On transmitter?

Thanks!
Jason
Old 5th April 2015, 06:20 AM   #2
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Toslink works through the SPDIF interface, but the data transport between the Aureus and the CS4382 is most likely through SPI or I2C interface.

But according to this document the Aureus seems to have a SPDIF transmitter as well. You must tap into that and hope that it's enabled.
Old 5th April 2015, 05:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

There is no SPDIF output from this particular Aureus implementation. It looks like I will need to convert the I2S data to SPDIF before I can send it to my DAC. Looking at the schematic and data sheet for the CS4382, I think they are using SPI. I'll have to convert the I2S to SPDIF with something like a CS8406a before I can send it to my DAC. That means bringing clock and control signals over too.

Funny that most audio enthusiasts are trying to go from spdif to i2s these days, while I'm trying to go the other way.
Old 5th April 2015, 05:51 PM   #4
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonnumber6 View Post
Funny that most audio enthusiasts are trying to go from spdif to i2s these days, while I'm trying to go the other way.
Yes, funny but you already included the reason why enthusiasts are going for I2S:

Quote:
That means bringing clock and control signals over too.
Esp. the clock part...
Old 5th April 2015, 07:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

@Jitter, Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

BTW, the device I'm tapping into does have multiple Aerues chips, and one of them does send SPDIF out. It just does it before any DSP is applied to the data, and of course I want the data after it's been processed.

Preferably I want to keep the data in stereo pairs, as I'll be feeding that to multiple NAD M2 amplifiers. Those reportedly have excellent jitter rejection. The M2 has TOSlink, spdif, and AES interface.

I'm wondering if there is a better solution than using multiple CS8406's?

Hide this!Advertise here!