Toroidal Transformers in B'lore

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This wild idea keeps coming

Thankyou George, I will do that an hour from now.

I have this very wild idea though.. but please don't make a hilarious one out of this. Welding transformers... at such a high ampere rating and low voltage could they not be used to power up a rack of amps in the 5KW to 10KW region. It could work as a standalone PSU. Even if there were any hum from the windings the cooling oil (in oil cooled ones) could dissipate the mechanically induced hum I think (as a result of loose windings). The only question is .. where do we find the rectifier and filter caps for this monster PSU.

I know this sounds like a crazy idea. but its just a thought OK :confused:

peterpan73

Got a prompt quote from Miracle this time

I had asked for a quote for four pieces of their M1530 (15-0-15v, 500mA). I was told the following breakup: Rs.170 per transformer, totalling Rs.680. Add 16% excise: Rs.109. Add 13% CST: Rs.103. Add 2% P&F (whatever that is): Rs.18. Add courier charges to Bombay: Rs.200. Total: Rs.1109.

So, my landed cost for four transformers in Bombay will be about Rs.280 each. Compare that with Rs.50 each for an E+I picked up without any bill from L.Road. Out of the Rs.280, only Rs.170 is going to the manufacturer's pocket, an amount he fully deserves.

I think Rs.280 is probably affordable if I want to make a high-quality preamp with the transformer close to the rest of the circuitry.

Thanks for the help, George.

Tarun

PS: I hope Hunter Audio reads these posts and picks up some tips about how to do business. :D

Expensive Power SUpplies

This wild idea of using a welding trasnformer to power the amps had come about as I would like to 'desperately' minimise POwer supply making costs for my amps. The thought that seperate PSUs need to be constructed for my 3 to 5KW Homebrewed amps of 100 to 500W each deters me. Besides a Welding Tranny cost less than Rs.2500 each. I am eagerly soliciting a reply from any of our readers on this.

Looks like u;'re online Tarun... please PM me at my yahoo ID patrick_pugh2000

Patrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.