Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2004, 11:00 PM   #1
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default IRF840 N,HEX instead of an IRF 710 N,MOS

Can I use an IRF840 N,HEX instead of an IRF 710 N,MOS
in a regulated 330Volts supply?
What´s the difference beetwen HEX and MOS?
Old 9th February 2004, 10:17 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Go to international rectifier's web site and check it out. I believe the 840 has a higher voltage rating and thats ok but the higher the voltage rating the higher the Rds(on) which would mean more power dissipation and lower current ratings. And that is all dependant on the die size. If they have similar Rds(on) and Id ratings then I'd use it, they all work the same.
Old 9th February 2004, 04:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Oki,thanks for the answer!
Old 9th February 2004, 04:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

RdsON is not usually a problem and not usually a factor in power dissipation if you are building amplifiers where other factors such as gate charge and linearity of device is much more important.

Based on the numbering scheme (I have not looked at the datasheets), it would appear that the *10 version is a higher on-resistance, lower gate charge device which would typically be good for audio. Be sure to check the thermal resistances as well - you need to check all the way - from die to heatsink interface.

It really is a function of the application you are aiming for which determines what parameters to aim for when looking for substitute devices.

HEX is International Rectifiers brand presumably some sort of loose connection to their manufacturing process but mostly marketing.

You should be able to buy all IRF devices locally through www.elfa.se

Petter
Old 9th February 2004, 05:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It really is a function of the application you are aiming for which determines what parameters to aim for when looking for substitute devices.
I am going to use it as a voltageregulator for tube´s max 400V/100mA.
Old 10th February 2004, 04:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default I thought the mosfet was switching?

The mosfet were talking about are being used in a power supply, switching I presume....and doesn't power dissapation=I2 X R...aka Rds(on). And as far as gate charge goes(in a linear amplifier) would not pose a problem at audio frequencies(to 20Khz) unless many were inparallel, loading their drivers. In a switching power supply at high frequencies, transitions between off and on (and vice versa) need to be fast to avoid spending any time in the mosfets linear region(it's that I2 X R thing again) and thats where gate charge comes into play. In a linear amplifier there is now way around that.

Hide this!Advertise here!