What's this part inside a Fluke scope? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2015, 08:53 PM   #1
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default What's this part inside a Fluke scope?

Today, I had a look on the inside of a Fluke PM 3385 oscilloscope and my eyes were caught by a curious looking component under a shield.

According to the layout of the board in the service manual, it's C6013 and the BOM says it's an electrolytic capacitor of 10 uF, 100 V and 10% tolerance.
It doesn't really look like an electrolytic to me, though, but I might be mistaken.

The ends look like some sort of sintered material in which the leads seem to be embedded in (almost) a circle.

Click the image to open in full size.

Anyone familiar with these?

Last edited by jitter; 25th March 2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 26th March 2015, 05:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Damon Hill
It's a European made (Siemens?) film and foil capacitor, not an electrolytic; I've got a few MKC polycarbonates in my collection just like it. The foils stick out past the plastic film and metal (tin?) is sprayed on them to fuse them together; the leads are soldered or heat-fused to the ends. This type of construction greatly reduces the inductance and ESR (equivalent series resistance). A lot of film capacitors are made in this fashion, but not many are so visible as this series.

First time I've seen one shielded like this.
Old 26th March 2015, 10:21 AM   #3
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

It is a ERO, MKT1813 series. Shielded because it is in a sensitive part of the circuit, low level coupling, integrator or similar.
Old 26th March 2015, 07:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
Judiging by the printing on the board, it seems to be in the circuit for the main timebase sweep generator. That custom part marked "OQ0228P" is labelled in the schematics as a sweep generator. Behind the MKT is a TDA1541 DAC.
Old 27th March 2015, 04:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvee View Post
It is a ERO, MKT1813 series. Shielded because it is in a sensitive part of the circuit, low level coupling, integrator or similar.
Little correction: I wrote that it was in a PM 3385, but I meant PM 3382. I saw from the pictures in your Chop Box thread that you have one...

I've been trying to get my head around the schematics, but boy are those complicated when I compare them with those of my PM 3082.
Just to give an idea: the layout of the board with that MKT is on is on page 95, the schematics are on page 132 (of a total of 473). Hope you never have to repair it...

Hide this!Advertise here!