changing a power supply inductor - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2015, 11:23 PM   #1
WaFfLe is offline WaFfLe  United States
diyAudio Member

Default changing a power supply inductor

the current project im working on has a bad inductor, i know this is mainly to suppress the mains noise. when replacing inductors like these, what value should i pay attention to for the replacement unit? (assuming i cannot locate the exact original part)
* rated AC current A
* inductance mH
* dc resistance Ω
* temperature rise K
i guess my question is, what values can be fudged and still work or work better than the original?
similar to the known fact that you can go higher voltage rating on caps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS17VA-R10025.jpg (56.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 12th March 2015, 03:34 AM   #2
opcom is offline opcom  United States
diyAudio Member

Pretty much all the values can be fudged quite a bit. Is the original missing or burned up? I checked a small one like it before and it was 110uH on each coil, resistance <1 Ohm. Anyway, AC amps is important, and maybe 50-200uH is OK. They shouldn't get hot, so rise is not important. Ohms low..
Old 12th March 2015, 04:27 AM   #3
WaFfLe is offline WaFfLe  United States
diyAudio Member

I was wondering if I could up a certain value to lower the mains noise that is audible when running
Old 12th March 2015, 04:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
DC resistance would be the main concern, you can go lower but not higher (it might overheat). Also this is a segmented winding CM choke - most CM chokes aren't segmented. Segmented provides lower self-capacitance and hence better rejection of noise.

Hide this!Advertise here!