The sonic character of different PCB materials (or P2P)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read so many things here about the sound of PCBs, veroboards, P2P, dead bug style... and each one in contradiction with the others.

Is there any theory behind this? Or has anyone compared?
I wonder what the sound difference is between the same circuit, with exatly the same parts but just another layout.

Veroboards are told to be "only good for prototypes", do they sound worse?

Has anyone compared?

Vectorboards do sound worse than soldered methods due to the two small contact points between component and vectorboard clip contact(the thing you stick into). Corrosion and dirt can do bad things to contacts, like create resistance or diode like points. It also limits current capacity. As far as boards, use FR-4 with 2 ounce copper and you'll be happy.

Vectorboards do sound worse than soldered methods

No idea what is a 'vectorboard' but if you mean veroboards they do actually take solder.

IME veroboad with round pads (not stripboard) and P2P sounds generally better than standard PCB to some extent due to the choice in hookup wire and possibly the shorter, more efficient connections. Some are annoyed with the lack of neatness but i personally build projects to listen to and not for my wife to admire.

Still, P2P is no guarantee for superior sound and may even be detrimental in digital circuits.

There was some interesting discussion where Jonathan Carr mentioned the effect of different dielectric materials in PCBs.

If possible i try to not use veroboards at all. Whether the reasons are electrical or mechanical (the boards, especially with large surface areas tend to pick up lots of vibrations) the completer absence of boards in P2P seems beneficial.

One needs to be involved in audio manufacturing in order to conduct real controlled experiments. Otherwise it just takes too much time and effort.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Bricolo said:

I wonder what the sound difference is between the same circuit, with exatly the same parts but just another layout.

Well according to the article that came out with my kit amp, they tried many different layouts, with widely varying distortion figures depending on which layout they used. They did note that the particular circuit was very sensitive to layout changes, so I guess, depending on the circuit, the answer is yes, the layout can make a difference.

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.