2N5952 Pinouts - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2015, 05:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2N5952 Pinouts

I have some Central Semiconductor 2N5952 JFETs. Is the pinout the same as for the obsolete Fairchild version of this transistor, i.e. 1=G,2=S,3=D? Central's datasheet doesn't give this.
Old 9th March 2015, 01:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello Ken,
I have the same question so I sent an email to Central. I will post here when they answer.
Old 9th March 2015, 03:43 AM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

The thing about JFETs is they are ON - relatively low resistance source to drain - until turned off by a voltage on the gate.

So get out your ohm meter and measure resistance between the three pairs of two legs. The two legs that show low resistance to each other will be source and drain. The third leg will have very high resistance to the others, or measure as open. That is the gate.
Old 9th March 2015, 03:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

It's a Jedec registered number, so the pinout would have to be the same. It's opposite to a lot of the other US-made N-channel devices in that the pinout is G-D-S rather than D-S-G.

Last edited by wrenchone; 9th March 2015 at 03:59 AM.
Old 9th March 2015, 05:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucetassin View Post
Hello Ken,
I have the same question so I sent an email to Central. I will post here when they answer.
I have done the same due dilligence, just for CYA. It will be interesting to see who gets a reply first, if at all. In the meantime, it appears there's enough info in this thread already for me to forge on. Will be breaking out the multimeter and checking some resistances.
Old 9th March 2015, 06:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

OK once you figure out what two pins are S and D, how do you know which pin is D and which S?
Old 9th March 2015, 10:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
OK once you figure out what two pins are S and D, how do you know which pin is D and which S?
Once you know which is the gate, which pins are the source and the drain becomes irrelevant except for drawing schematics as the current will flow either direction in a JFET.
Old 10th March 2015, 01:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Many, but not all, jfets have arbitrary S and D connections as the silicon design is symmetrical
Old 10th March 2015, 02:53 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

What is the roaring and screaming about? This is a JEDEC registered part number, there is no latitude whatsoever for any alternate supplier to reassign pins. End of story. The Fairchild data sheet its a good enough reference to proceed.

BTW, even for non-JEDEC parts, alternate suppliers won't monkey with pin assignments, but will tweak other parameters to their advantage instead.
Old 10th March 2015, 01:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Ken
I got a reply from Central Semi.
See chart below.

Mr Wrench,
The confusion I had was due to conflicting data sheets from Fairchild and Texas Instruments. Central did not have a pin-out on their data sheet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fair.JPG (18.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2N5952.JPG (17.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg TI.JPG (94.8 KB, 13 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!