Best tabbed/screw Terminal Strip needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am a strong beleiver is the entire signal path from the turntable caridge to the drivers of a speaker sound best using pure copper. So had a question how to get rid of this chink in the sound chain.

My vintage Wharfedale W90 speakers with Alnico drivers has a simple 10 tab terminal strip to connect the quick connect connectors on my hookup wires to the crossovers and drivers. Its the intersection between everythere. But its old, low quality and corroded. I was hoping to replace it with a new copper Terminal strip. Any suggestions? I am unable to find anything that doesn't require soldering or uses screws. The reason they used quick disconnect tabs on the hoolup wires is to remove them when you take the back panel off to get to the tweeters and midrange in the upper cavity.

I have been searching google for a week and unable to find anything. Is there a better solution besides bypassing any terminal strips?

I was thinking that maybe I will just get a screw terminal strip. I just need to find a high quality pure copper version. I wish I could use the Terminal Strips at Parts Connexion but all theirs you have to solder. They have some amazing exotic strips there.

Any suggestions on where to find quality screw type terminal strips and matching spades?

I wish I could use terminals like this. But it requires soldering?
This is sold at Parts Connexion

http://www.partsconnexion.com/product9747.html

If I understand your inquiry correctly, you wish to connect wires together without using either screws or soldering. Is that correct?

If that is the case, then you may want to investigate either “wirenuts” or “European style” terminal strips. Good quality wirenuts will give you a tight copper to copper physical junction. These are discussed at length in a currently active thread titled “why wirenuts for a mains connection” under “Everything else” on this board. The (currently) last post by "James A" is particularly informative.

You might prefer the above mentioned terminal strips, which may be more applicable for use in speaker cabinets. The slight disadvantage of these is the possibility that they would need to be re-tightened occasionally, although I suspect that “occasionally” could be changed to “rarely” in a speaker wire application.

Are you aware that soldering works at the molecular level, and is generally considered the best possible way to electrically connect copper wires together?

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/tb-35/35a-12-position-terminal-block/1.html
These can be easily cut to size with a hacksaw if you need fewer terminals.

Last edited:
As you can see in the photos how the crossover is connected to a terminal strip then the strip is connected to the drivers with quick disconnect "tab" clips. If you need to open the upper cabinet to access the Tweeters and midrange you have to disconnect the hookup wires connected to the terminal strip. What is insane is I've been looking all over the Internet for a week now trying to fingers a terminal strip that will work. It might be on DigiKey or mouser but those online catalogs are impossible to find anything.

Attachments

• 20150222_172100.jpg
    20150222_172100.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 20150222_172104.jpg
    20150222_172104.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 20150222_172152.jpg
    20150222_172152.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20150222_162625.jpg
    20150222_162625.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 20150221_175444.jpg
    20150221_175444.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 92
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.