Help to ID a smt component please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I've drawn a bit of a blank on this one: I am trying to identify a surface mount component.

SOT-23 (all three pins connected to PCB tracking).
Body marking: GS (the 'G' has a dot above it).

The lettering font is a bit weird. The 'G' could be a 9 and hence the body marking would be S9 (up-side-down GS if you understand my thinking here) or even 6S !

I am guessing it may be a Si Transistor.

Thanks for any help here,

Andy

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If all 3 legs go to different places then it probably (but not necessarily) is a transistor. It could be NPN or PNP. Measuring the voltages on the PCB pads (with it removed if needs be) can often identify polarity of the device. It could also be a FET or an IC such as a regulator.

yep, had previously tried all the on-line SMD codebooks, but upon investigating the suggested component datasheets, nothing really matches. What I want to see is a datasheet with that damn body marking explicitly stated. Yes, I can make an educated guess as to what it is, but the engineer part of me hates guessing!

Note: this is part of a reverse engineering project I am doing. Got all the surrounding circuitry mapped out so may post up a schematic of what I see.

Cheers chaps,

Andy

Circuit is part of a boiler controller. This part of the circuit generates an EHT spark to ignite the pilot flame & once lit, an ion detector to check for the presence of the flame once lit.

This is the (reverse engineered) schematic of surrounding circuitry of the 'mystery component':

Transistors etc are drawn as if the component is in it's package, as viewed from above.

Cheers,

Andy

Joined 2011
Circuit is part of a boiler controller. This part of the circuit generates an EHT spark to ignite the pilot flame & once lit,
an ion detector to check for the presence of the flame once lit. This is the (reverse engineered) schematic of surrounding
circuitry of the 'mystery component':

It must be an N-channel MOSFET.
The source is grounded, the gate is connected to R177, and the drain is connected to R190.

Last edited:
That is the conclusion I immediately jumped to...
But!
Standard SMT pinout of an N-Chl Mosfet in SOT-23 package would indicate connection:
Gate = GND
Source = to base of transistor
Drain = R177

Hence for G & D one would expect them to be connected the other way around! This is why I am having difficulty id-ing this part. Maybe a JFet...? ;)

Andy

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I agree a FET of some sort seems most likely. The 50 volt rating of C72 puts a limit on the current available via the two 1meg resistors.

I'm not well up on smd outlines, at least not from memory. Nothing FET like in that package/pinout configuration ? A JFET could be a possible because of its lower turn on volts compared to a normal FET... just looking at the likely voltages and all.

Joined 2011
I agree a FET of some sort seems most likely. The 50 volt rating of C72 puts a limit on the current available via the two 1meg resistors.

I'm not well up on smd outlines, at least not from memory. Nothing FET like in that package/pinout configuration ? A JFET could be a possible because of its lower turn on volts compared to a normal FET... just looking at the likely voltages and all.

It's an SOT SMT package. Small-outline transistor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm just thinking aloud...

Is the voltage on that resistor chain 'positive' ? If negative it could be a P channel. An N channel JFET would be on at 0 volts vgs and need negative voltage to turn it off whereas an ordinary vertical type would not. Vertical type would turn on with around 5 volts vgs. Can that much appear on the gate ? back to a P channel ???

Zebedee says

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.