Oh come on, it's just a switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Very frustrated newb is seeking a push-button switch to be used as a ground-lift in a project box containing a passive circuit. Without joy. Twice, so far :(

What are the magic words to use when searching a parts catalog for a mini or micro, push-button switch that when pressed locks into the depressed position and when pressed again returns to it's original, extended, position?

Then, if you have more time, what's wrong with my head that I can't seem to find or figure this out for myself?

Apologies and thanks for any help.

Still, no joy

So... I ordered the latching/alternative-action/push-push switch in the form of an NKK EB2065 switch. For the third time, now, no joy :(

What I am looking for is a push-button switch that both changes state and *also* indicates state with the plunger. This is for a passive circuit so I can't indicate on/off with a light/LED/whatever-needs-to-be-powered. I have to be able to know the state solely from the switch itself. Yes, I could use a toggle/rocker. My preference is a push-button though.

From the side, such a switch would look like:

(A)
|------------|
| |--------
|------------|

(B)
|------------|
| |----
|------------|

Before I push, the switch looks like (A). After I push, and release, it looks like (B). If I push again, and release, it looks like (A). Let me be clear, the (B) position is *after* a "push" but also *after* the finger is removed. I.e., it *stays* this way without external force until it is pressed again.

Yes, it is a latching/push-push/alternate-action switch but, more, it indicates state by the height of the plunger at rest.

What is this switch called?

I know they exist. I have an Eden WP-100B and every push-button on it is this type of switch. I am unwilling to disassemble it to get the part number off one of the switches as it is still under warranty.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Switch: Digikey P/N: EG1018-ND
Cap: Digikey P/N: EG1091-ND

If you like Mouser better, just copy the manufacturer part number from Digikey's site and paste it into Mouser's search bar.

You could also use a toggle switch. Bat up = ground lifted. Bat down = grounded. The SPDT on-on kinds of switches seem to be the least expensive.

~Tom

It says "momentary" or "latching" are available. I've discovered "latching" means it holds state but doesn't say anything about whether or not the plunger returns to original position or another.

From the drawings it's not clear but, after ordering the wrong thing three times I'm paranoid, I believe it is only showing travel.

generally, the latching buttons like we use on control panels stay in or out. Alternate action latching switches like the stomp switches for guitar amps do tend to return to the full out position after pushing.

You didn't include the need for it to announce its condition at first. I call a switch that does that an "indicating" switch along with the rest of the description. But I am sure there are other terms. Illuminated push switches are usually the ones with LEDs in the plunger.

I forget who made them, but I recall some mixers and other gear with push switches whose button turned color when pushed - a little mechanical thing exposed a color dot in the end.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.