Does anyone know the Alps RK163 potentiometers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
CF249926-01.jpg

Probably nothing. The RK09 is probably better than other pots for the price, but still I would not put anything like that into an amp... and I don't think I would like to find the RK09 in a commercial unit - even if I had only pad a couple of hundred dollers for it.

I used one in a small portable headphone amp project. Next time I'll compromise size and use a digital pot from Maxim.. the tracking differences between the two channels very simply outrageous!

And then again - it is a cheap pot!

sobazz said:
... that cannot be! Simply not possible! They could at least have chosen RK17!

I wouldn't assume anything at this point. I've heard Nagra is using cheap pot in their $6k preamp because it simply sounds better than anything else they tried. I also had some cheap Alps (different style though) and they sounded better than Black Beauty.

"Sound better"... I objected to the use of RK09 only due to tracking imperfertions... and tracking imperfections - I guess - is a great deal of the reason why people bother buy RK27 or RK40 (maybe even RK50).

Regarding sound quality.. you can always use a series resistor and a cheap pot for shunting a part of the signal to ground. I suppose we agree that it would be the optimal pot configuration, since no questionable pot is present directly in the signal path, thus you can easily use a cheap pot if configured correctly. But the tracking issue is still present...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.