Anyone use magnet wire for point to point wiring projects? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2004, 08:11 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

The lacquer you mentioned elizard is similar to potting compound. Delicate windings are sometimes dunked in it to help keep them safe, lead guitar pickups for example.

I was reading something related to this thread last night on an amature radio builder's site.

One of the radio builders mentioned that he had used thin coiling wire and said he removed the coating by the following method...

- Clamp iron to edge of desk somehow so that the tip hangs over the edge of the desk

- Put something hot solder proof underneath the tip, like a wet sponge

- Load the tip, which I expect has to be a bevel or chisel shape, full of solder; until it begins to drip off

- Take the end of the wire and move it into the liquid solder

- Wait until the solder or wire begins to turn black with gunk

- Gently move the wire back and forth in the puddle

- Remove the wire

He said he managed to get the wires to tin quite well. Whenever I have use this wire before I'm always left questioning just how clean a join it could be with that much gunk floating around while it was being made. Last time I used it I'm sure I saw about twice as much gunk floating on the solder as there was solder there.

John

Hide this!Advertise here!