What component can cause speaker crackling? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2014, 11:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What component can cause speaker crackling?

Hello.....

Just wondering, what actual component in a preamp can cause loud crackling feedback on speakers?

It's not the power amp at fault as it's been tested with another preamp and all is fine...
Old 11th December 2014, 11:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

cone rubbing? push the woofers gently with your fingers and listen for scratching sounds.
Old 11th December 2014, 11:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I tried that, but the speakers are fine working with the other preamp, so I used a 2nd pair of speakers to double make sure, and the same thing, speakers are fine, no crackling using another preamp, and, I did test the speakers by doing what you said, it made no difference, my guess is, maybe a cap has gone bad, like, the KEF subwoofers, crackle loud and buzz when a certain cap goes bad, I'm hoping it's the same theory...
Old 11th December 2014, 11:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

in that case certainly power supply is the first thing to look at.
Old 12th December 2014, 06:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yeap, I tested the mains supply to see what type of voltages were coming in and that is all ok, I also tested the mains transformer inside the preamp, all again again. I know I'll have to end up removing caps but it is a pain in the butt!!! can't test them in circuit...
Old 12th December 2014, 06:39 AM   #6
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Failing transistors can be a cause of noises/crackles too. Have you looked for more obvious things like dry joints ? If its a cap then I would be looking at small ceramic or tantalum types first.
Old 12th December 2014, 06:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Mooly, I haven't removed the main circuit board yet, been to busy, but will get on it today. The Preamp is around 14 years old almost, but, very good components were used as it was around 2k when it was new... I'll check caps and transistors today, what main points would I check caps? On output stages? Funny thing is, there is NO!!! crackling when I use the digital optical input, it only crackles when I'm using the phono stage inputs.
Old 12th December 2014, 06:51 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The company that make it was Ditton, a English company, but they went broke if I remember, sold stock and the name to some company in China... So it's non existent to find a service manual or even the owners manual online...
Old 12th December 2014, 07:01 AM   #9
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

It sounds a bit different to the type of preamp I was imagining tbh.

As its much more modern then prime suspects could be SMD (surface mount) caps that have leaked. You need to have a good visual look at it all first. If its just the phono stage crackling (so line level OK ?) then it should be an easy fix to identify the phono section and repair/replace components as required.
Old 12th December 2014, 07:26 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ok, will give that a try ~Mooly and I'll get back with the results...

Hide this!Advertise here!