How good or bad are the russian teflon caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The units I considered at some point were magnetic. If your units are the same one should expect any benefit from the teflon to be completely destroyed due to this. There is also the matter of construction technique which would likely limit the data-sheet performance as well.

I have not tried them but decided it was not worth pursuing.

Petter

The units I considered at some point were magnetic. If your units are the same one should expect any benefit from the teflon to be completely destroyed due to this. There is also the matter of construction technique which would likely limit the data-sheet performance as well.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating! :angel:

I have used them in 2 amps now. They are very very good...maybe not as good as non magnetic NASA stuff...but hey at this price I cant complain. Most on Audio Asylum agreed that they are beautiful sounding...Doug Flynn was underwhelmed...at one stage...maybe he likes them now that they have run in ...when he reported he wanted to put his paper in oil back in...

But like I said most were very happy. Gary Pimm and Kurt Strain to name a few...but then again ..YOU have to like them...at the price they go for...go get em.

Cheers,
BAs

Here some measurements by Douglas (Sector7G) dunno what the figures are.....

O...and KWTUBES's Gintaras is a super guy!!

Attachments

• caps.jpg
    caps.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 582
Magura said:
If used in filters they sure are good. I have bought loads of EX russian military stuff, its state of the art.

Good in filters, and elsewhere ???

The only russian caps I ever bought was 100 pieces of silver mica 10nF 0,3% hermetically sealed in metal/ceramic case and not magnetic. Did not try them yet, shame on me...

Now I wonder which ones are better, micas or teflons, also I have west micas, nonmagnetic.

I want to use them in my new active xover, and values are fitting...

By the way, TO3 transistors are magnetic, most of them, and tubes and transformers...

Bernhard

Hi,

I've got the russian teflon's 500v 0.1uf, they do sound pretty good.. If you comapre to say a 0.1 uf 250v polypropylene, the bass is way deeper and I think you get a fuller sound. The pins are silver coated steel/metal. Only trouble is that they are large so you have to dress leads to use them, and sometimes the length of extra lead you have to use raises the question of performance versus inductance (extra wire length and an extra solder joint too). Still I've used them across cathode res on their own (yep 0.1uf only). To my ears they're quite neutral providing equivalent bass of a larger film cap, with all the other benefits too.

Thanks
Raja

i use nothing but russky teflons in riaa filtering but PIO interstagevice.
Batches of 10 has given me 4 perfectly matched 34.7uf another batch provided 5 perfect 1.104`s

But they need hours to come to rest, during this time channel balance shifts erraticly and sustained chorus like effects plagues the rendition.
But suddenly its all bliss and remains so.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.