Bamboo for enclosures - types, finishes, & source?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did a pretty thorough search and did not turn up the info. Not sure which forum to post and hope this one is OK. If not, moderator, please direct me to the appropriate forum.

I have a friend who owns a CNC machine and can help cut out panels for an enclosure.

Questions on using bamboo as speaker enclosures:

1. What different types of bamboo sheets are there? (I read in one post where Planet10/Dave mentioning stranded Bamboo so I assume there are a number of types.)

2. I am told that some bamboo sheets comes prefinished. Is it possible to cut and assemble these and bypass the veneering (which is not necessary with bamboo in the first place) and/or finishing process? Meaning the box is assembled and it will be already finished.

3. What are the sources in the US that supply bamboo sheets?

4. Acoustically, is bamboo a superior material to baltic birch ply?

Thanks in advance for any help! I lurk far more than post on these forums but it is an incredible resource.

With much appreciation.
UL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.