transistor SPS8223

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
while trying to repair my Tek 2215 B-channel vertical preamp, I fell upon a transistor with this unusual (at least to me) designation. According to the service manual it is a small signal NPN type.

Google does not produce any usable results so I would appreciate any help to find a datasheet that will help me locate a modern equivalent for replacement

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hmmm... dunno then.

You need to see what characteristics are going to be important. If its in the signal stages then hf response and a low Cob could be vital, or if its just doing something more general like a current source etc then perhaps any generic replacement would be OK.

thank you Mooly. It is the one pointed by the arrow. Actually all Q257,258,267,268 are of the same type

NMHq5RK.jpg

what puzzles me is that SPS8223 and other similar types were used by Tek extensively in the 80's and yet I cannot find any data.
I guess I will have to take out a healthy one to measure the basic parameters. Most probably a BC5xx will do the job

just for the history and to the benefit of anyone with a similar problem in the future here's an update:
Channel B work great again! :). The aforementioned transistor is a PNP as Mooly correctly pointed out and type is MPSH81. However this one proved to be okay, the culprit was U270D which is shown to the right of Q257 in Channel B vertical preamp section. This is one of 5 NPN transistors included in a CA3127E DIP16 transistor array.
I have no idea how this was fried especially since I do not use channel B often. Anyhow I managed to find NOS replacement (it took ages to turn up but that's another story) and after replacing, everything works great again.

The service manual proved of course invaluable in tracking down the problem

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.