Reusing Backgate caps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of amplifier boards from about 2009 that have a pair of 100uf/100v Blackgate FK caps on the rails and a 1000/16v Blackgate BG in the feedback loop. I'm upgrading the boards to newer versions but the only good cap substitutes now seem to be Silmic II or Nichicon FG.

I don't want to get caught in the endless loop of resoldering caps to test the sound...what are opinions on using older Blackgates on a new board? I hate to not use them but at the same time I wonder if they could have lost their magic after several years.

I have had non-polarized Blackgates start to go bad after years in rather warm service, but that might be typical of any electrolytic capacitor. Not being able to test the capacitance and impedance to verify their usability prompted me to buy an ESR meter years ago. These meters are pretty inexpensive as kits on eBay, although I might recommend the Anatek kit at a somewhat higher price as it can also readily check resistance below one ohm.

I think the Nichicon nonpolar caps are good quality parts.

One thing I learned was that very low voltage parts have a significantly higher dissipation factor, so I buy higher voltage parts where they'll fit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.