Basic Electronics and speaker abreviations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im a total noob when it comes to speakers and was wondering wat the difference between like a 4 ohm speaker and a 8 ohm speaker in terms of sound quality and power.

Also wat are the speaker abrevitations mean and what do they tell about the driver such as free air resonance frequency (fs)
qts, qes, qms etc ...

I am interested in making some speakers for my self and was wondering if there are a few sites that could help with speakers and layouts for subs and 3 way speakers and basic electronics.

Here's a page to get you started on some of the basics of Theile/Small parameters.

Here's another.

As far as impedence, 4 or 8 ohm..it has nothing to do with the power handling of the speaker, or even the quality of the speaker, it is simply something that was decided by the designer. A 4 ohm speaker has the capability to draw more power from the amplifier (note I did NOT say 'handle' more power), which is why low impedence speakers are used in, say, car audio applications where current is plentiful, but voltage is not.

This book, which I'm sure is available in Oz, will tell you pretty much anything and everything you ever wanted to know about speakers, especially if you want to build your own.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.