repairing capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a p2200 and one of the power caps started leaking. So i thought ok, better replace it. $200!!!!!! i paid that much for the whole thing. ANyway anyone know how to stop a cap from leaking. ANy glue or tape or anything. I just hope not too much has got out. ANyone know what inside the cap?
Thanks
Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think in another thread priscared posted that the supply rails were 80V. If so 100V is going to be necessary!

I had a look at farnel, and they didn't even have any 100V 22,000uf, had 10,000 and 15,000 but they were expensive, $50 - $100Aus. I was thinking maybe you could replace with 2 X 10,000Uf, at the expense of a bit more ripple, but You will still be back up at the $100+ mark.

Has it got separate filter caps for each channel. If so maybe you should ditch the idea of fixing the bung channel, and use it as a sub amp.

Sounds like its going from bad to worse :(

Tony.

I have sixteen 4,700uF 100 volt capactiors.... lol but I'm not willing to part with them as that would leave me with no caps for the amp I am building... :p I believe what I have are old stock... so they are probably abit old.. but still brand new... you should look around... cos I got these dirt cheap.. ;) 6 of these per rail would bring you up to more uF than you had before... 8 per rail could only inprove things, but space could be a problem... 37,600uF...

hmmm

I pored glue on them, lol, it seems to hold the stuff in. 22000uf per channel. I swapped them around cause it was the working channels cap that was screwing up. I think u might be right, use it as a sub amp. HOwever,
I have spent 212.50 on it originally
30 on a guy trying to fix it.
SO if i spent 100 on a new cap
then 70 for new outputs. THen maybe another 50 for everything else on the board.
THats $463 if it works, that wouldnt be to bad for 230w into each channel, if it worked.

SO if i were to replace with other caps of smaller size, how abouts do u wire them. In series or parralel. Im pretty sure there is no room to do this though. lol
CYA
THanks for you help

Glueing a leaky capacitor shut is basically a quick way to either make it leak somewhere else, or blow up really well..

Once the cap has started leaking, it is done, I would not operate it anymore, too scary what can happen. You could have a very very serious mess to clean up if it blows in there. That amp would be neatly sealed with a complete oil coating and would be very stinky.

interesting...

Umm ... hmm.... well i swapped them around so the leaking cap is on the channel that doesnt work (however current still flows through it) I really just wanted to stop all the **** flowing out when i turned it upside down. If anyone can sell me some 100v 22000uf caps that be great. Email me . Unfortunately with this amp, u cant really substitute the caps for anything else as there is really no room.

So you recon itd go bang huh? ....... COool!!!!
The cheapest cap ive found is from sydney (i live in vic) and it was over a $100!!!! so if i replaced both the caps itd cost more than i paid for the amp!!!

Im gunna substitute by output trannies with MJ15023 and MJ15022 . If anyone has any of these please email me.
Thanks

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
what does the cap do?

Just purely out of iterest. what does the cap do??? Does it increase it back up to 50hz from 25hz or something? I think i might remove the leaking cap. It is "theoritically" one cap per channel (i hope) im not sure what to do with all the cables that attached to it though. I dont want them shorting out my transformer(the most expensive bit in it, its HUGE)

Re: what does the cap do?

priscared said:
Just purely out of iterest. what does the cap do??? Does it increase it back up to 50hz from 25hz or something? I think i might remove the leaking cap. It is "theoritically" one cap per channel (i hope) im not sure what to do with all the cables that attached to it though. I dont want them shorting out my transformer(the most expensive bit in it, its HUGE)

its not one cap per channel.. both caps are used by both channels.. put it back or you'll damage your speaker...

lol

fair enough. ill put it back. never did take it out. R u sure its not one per channel.??? i suppose they are in the amp in opposite connections, as in one is earthed to - and one is earthed to +. Ill look into those caps from the US. I was really hoping i could scab some second hand aussie ones. theres gotta be a bunch lying somewhere.
So i could use a bigger capacitor and it would still work?? Or would it go BANG!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.