repairing capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
u seem to know a lot

U seem to know more about this amp than me. and i have it right infront of me, lol. I think i might try and order a cap from the us.
$29.99 our exchange rate would make that like 40? so allow 20 for shipping. HOPEFULLy no more than 60 per cap. Thats still a heck of a lot. lol.
So can u actually explain what the cap does.?

so what u guys are telling me

so what u guys are telling me is that the caps are filtering the supply of 80vdc+ and 80vdc- one for each. And that swapping them around does nothing at all. And that leaving a broken one in is theoritically UNSAFE.
SO yes. anyone wanna buy an amp. lol

Re: so what u guys are telling me

priscared said:
so what u guys are telling me is that the caps are filtering the supply of 80vdc+ and 80vdc- one for each. And that swapping them around does nothing at all. And that leaving a broken one in is theoritically UNSAFE.
SO yes. anyone wanna buy an amp. lol

swapping does nothing.. leaving the bad one in is unsafe.. removing just the bad one could damage your speaker.. remove both.. :D lol

ebay

dam... i think i might concider greatly sticking this item on ebay. lol. as long as no one has read this forum i might *might* get what i paid for it. It was worth a try i though. They aparently sell for more than 600 when they are working. But i couldnt afford that much on an amp. I was then just gunna use one channel, but now u tell me that is unsafe. however i have had in running at 50 w for a few hours in my bedroom. lol

wintermute said:
If there are only two then skinny boy is right, one per voltage rail and swapping won't make any difference. Some amps have separate caps for each channel, but in your case it doesn't sound like it.

Tony.

Its always nice to have someone confirm what you said, like you're not a reliable source or something.. :p

if you want to run the amp, leave the faulty cap in place... when, or if it explodes it WILL damage other parts of the amp when is goes.. and cood injure someone :p lol ok.. don't do that... :rolleyes:

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi SkinnyBoy,

That wasn't the intention, was more to cover what I said before about if there were separate filter caps for each channel, then ditch one channel.

It appears that Priscared thought (incorrectly) after I said that, that since there were two caps, one was for each channel, I thought I would try and clarify, so if anything it was so that what I said previously didn't look dumb :)

Sorry if you took offence, you might notice I said if there are only two..... If there were four, then it would be possible (but not definite) that there were infact separate filter caps for each channel, in which case ditching one channel and using good caps from the other would have been an option.

I assumed he had more knowledge about Power Supplies than what he did. Also, since he hadn't given a schematic of the PS, its all a bit of guesswork.

Tony.

this amp is a tricky one.. lol because even if you get replacement output devices and change the capacitors, who says you will be able to get it working? and even if I was to buy it.. who says I could get it working?? lol

I spoke to a friend in the repair business.. first he said I should pay $200+ for it... he said its worth $50... I told him what it was etc, and he increased that to $150...lol hmm....

lol

nah $212 is my final offer, lol. Its got 22kg of metal in it. has a bi-amp circuit in it - anyone wanna buy that? if i cant get that much ill just hang on to it until i find a use for it. It has a massive transformer in it. And would sell for over $600 if it worked both channels.

capacitor

Hey,
If anyone from the USA is reading this or anyone who knows where to sorce affordable capacitors please ccontact me. Im hoping someone might be able to buy a 22000uf 100v cap
www.newarkinone.com.
Look up part number 95F4479.
The price is $29.99 USD.
for me and then post it to me, id give them some money for there service. These items i cannot get in australia unless i buy a hundred of them.Please email me on
Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they look anything like this?

Pulled em out of some Yamaha "Natural Sound" or whatever pro-amp.

<minus the electrical tape ontop of course....nosey dog>

Attachments

• bigcap.jpg
    bigcap.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 136
Well I looked into it and mine is a P-2200. I gutted mine because the amp was outputting alot of DC I believe (turn the amp and the speakers would go thump and burn the Voice Coils). Anyways I wanted it for the case, since I got it for free.

I attached a pic of the caps that were in mine.

And yes the traffo is a monster, but not really usable for too many projects :( , plus I love all the grease they put on everything :mad: .

Anyways I probably won't need these caps anytime soon, so if your interested in them let me know.

I don't know how much it is to ship to Australia, but maybe like $30 (for pair) including shipping is reasonable to me. So long as shipping is only $10 or so of that.

Attachments

• caps.jpg
    caps.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 118
good digital camera

Nice pics. I tried taking pictures of it, my camera is crap though. THeres another thing , anyone wanna buy a digimax 35 mp3? lol anyone if i can get these capacitors, my amp is no longer for sale, thought id say that, lol
I tried emailing u again, it still doesnt work. Please send me your email address to THankyou.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.