Replacing woofer for Pioneer CS 822a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Pioneer CS 822a speakers - 8 ohms which has a 13" woofer. I like the mids and highs but the low frequency response is not upto the expectation. I decided to replace the woofer with a new / more efficient one. The multimeter shows an impedance / resistance of 5.6 for the woofer and 6 for the entire box. Would it work if I replace the woofer with another woofer of 8 ohms ?

Any response / pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for the quick reply Cal. I currently use these with Denon PMA 777 (100wpc @ 0.003 THD) with a technics sh e5 equalizer. These woofers are able to hit low down to 25hz, but they do not sound like subs. I own another pair of Magnat monitor supreme 1000 tower speakers which have 2 6.5" woofers and they are way too boomy than these ! The drivers for the subs look worn and torn and need replacement.

Could you please suggest that if the multimeter reads 5.6 ohms for the woofer, then it is of 6ohm or 8ohm ?

Thanks !

Thanks for the reply Cal. The woofer was a 6 ohm woofer. I have replaced the woofer with a Sound Stream Dual 4 ohm Voice coil 12" woofer. I have connected these coils in series so that the woofer offers an 8 ohm resistance. My amp is still able to push these to limits, the only difference that I observed is that I have to pump up the vol a bit more in order to light the overload indicator because the overall impedance has increased after replacing the 6 ohm woofer with an 8 ohm.

If the 5.6 ohms DCR was correct, then those were 8 ohms speakers, as Cal said.
A 6 ohm speaker would have around 4.5 DCR coils.

As of your Pioneer cabinets, they are quite outdated Japanese designs, where they tried to "fill a cabinet with speakers" and use "the largest woofer which would fit" ... both commercial decisions which matched what consumers way back then perceived as "best".
Even calling them 13" while they are really 12"shows that.
I've even seen some labelled 14", which actually were 12"with way oversized rings around.

Some were listenable, despite that.

In your case the problem which worries you comes from a very small box for that speaker ... or a speaker way too large for that box.

25 Hz? ... only in the brochure ... or to be more precise, *some* output would be measurable ... some 24dB down.

Modern speakers usually are much better matched, as you noticed with your 2 x 6.5% cabinets :)

Perhaps unwittingly you solved the problem: you fit there car speakers which are often designed, on purpose, to work in minuscule cabinets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.