PCBway Ordering Experiences

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Spring Festival time - get orders in quick

I just placed a pcbway order and found they have the annual warning about the Chinese Spring Festival up. They have a grid of board types vs. cutoff dates. Looks like tomorrow 1/17/17 is the cutoff for 4 layers boards getting out before the holiday.

I think the Festival goes for about 2 weeks. If you miss the deadline now it will be a couple of weeks before orders can be placed again.

I tried these guys after seeing this thread and can sum up my experience in one word: excellent!
I put the order in for 2oz double sided PCBs on the morning of the 14th and they were on my doorstep in the evening of the 18th delivered from China to Singapore!
Nice packaging plus a freebie pen and stickie-pads too.

Will use them again for sure....

Beware DHL fees
I have tried PCBWay, the ordering process was simple and the boards were produced and shipped to my door in 7 days. In my limited expereance the boards look good.
But watch out for the DHL fees when shipping to Germany.

i.e. Production and shipping costs were $45.00. However, when the package arrived at my door DHL required I pay an extra €22.50 (aprox) of which about €8.00 was customs charges and the other €14.50 were DHL fees (which increase with the overall cost of the package).
In short I had to pay almost an extra $25.00 for a $45.00 product.

Beware DHL fees
I have tried PCBWay, the ordering process was simple and the boards were produced and shipped to my door in 7 days. In my limited expereance the boards look good.
But watch out for the DHL fees when shipping to Germany.

i.e. Production and shipping costs were $45.00. However, when the package arrived at my door DHL required I pay an extra €22.50 (aprox) of which about €8.00 was customs charges and the other €14.50 were DHL fees (which increase with the overall cost of the package).
In short I had to pay almost an extra $25.00 for a $45.00 product.
Exactly, I had the same problem with my shipment to the UK. They charged a crazy amount and the tax calculation was just ridiculous.
On another order, I tried using the normal (free) slower postal method. Arrived maybe a few days later than DHL, but didn't cost as much from PCBway (no DHL shipping cost) and wasn't subject to any customs / clearance / admin fees from postal service.

Exactly, I had the same problem with my shipment to the UK. They charged a crazy amount and the tax calculation was just ridiculous.
On another order, I tried using the normal (free) slower postal method. Arrived maybe a few days later than DHL, but didn't cost as much from PCBway (no DHL shipping cost) and wasn't subject to any customs / clearance / admin fees from postal service.
Yes this will be the right way(tested)!

I should have selected the post option, I will definitely avoid the DHL Express nonsense in the future...
Also, I wasn’t impressed to learn that because the package was shipped with DHL Express I didn’t have the option of having it transported to a local customs office where I could pick it up and only pay the customs fee.
Luckily it wasn’t an overly expensive lesson

Last edited:
My experience with PCBWay

I recently came across the site PCBWay. As I have done many electronic circuits before that on prototyping boards, or etched my PCBs myself, I have decided to jump into it, not even reading about the company.
For making the PCB, I chose the program called KiCAD, which is a free, community based software used to make schematics, but also PCB layouts. I didn’t even knew how to use that software, but it was easy to get used to use it.

I made my PCB designs, and exported their gerber files, and started uploading them to PCBWay. It even turned out that if the PCB dimensions are under 100 x 100 mm, 10 pieces costs me only 5 USD! I asked myself why have I made my PCB by myself, or used prototype boards before that? Incredibly I have received positive review in under an hour. I became addicted of using KiCAD, and started making PCBs, and started uploading my Gerber files like crazy! I made 4 designs, I uploaded them. Unluckily, I had minor problems in my Gerber files, but when I tried to upload my Gerber, the review came back as negative, describing what informations are missing, they even provided screenshots about the problem! I corrected my mistakes, re-uploaded them, and when PCBWay accepted it, I was ready for ordering. I realized that there was even a -5 USD coupon on PCBway, which I used right away. I selected my shipping, which wasn’t DHL, as it costed more than E-Packet parcel, and I had patience and time, so I was going with the cheaper way. Like this, with shipping to Hungary, 4 kinds of design, each 10 pieces, except one, which was 5 pieces came out to a total of 34 USD!

So I placed the order, payed by Paypal, and waited for miracle. It was stated ont he website, that it would take 3-4 days to process my order. I checked back the day after ordering, and was surprised, that they already started making my PCBs. The most fun part was that you could see actually in which stage is your PCB in the manufacturing process! It was really fun, and it got me waiting for the PCB to come even more.
Finally, ont he 4th day, the PCB was finished, PCBWay messaged me that they have shipped it! E-Packet tracking was kinda rarely updated, but this is NOT the fault of PCBWay. Today, 23 days after ordering, the parcel arrived!

My first impression of the packet was: WOW that’s heavy! I wasn’t prepared for this, although I could have guessed: 35 pieces of PCB are quite heavy. The packaging was really good: with no signs of wear, it came in a cardboard box.

Opening the cardboard box, I have found my beloved PCBs in vacuum bubble wrap. I was so excited, finally it is time for me to see if all my wait was worth it

Opening the wrap was easy, and as the PCB’s were set loose, I was amazed. The quality of the PCB was really good, much better than I expected to be for 5 USD! The black solder mask is gorgeous, the white silk screening on it was spot on, have not found ANY problems with the PCBs! I ordered a set of PCB with white solder mask on it, because I was really interested how would the black silkscreen printing looks like on it. The quality of the black screen printing is not as beautiful as the white one, but that is the only ’problem’ I came across when looking at the ordered parts.
All in all, I had a really amazing experience using PCBWay, and I was not prepared for this. Now all my free time, I am designing PCBs, and waiting for them to build up so I can order again! It became an addiction, and I think PCBWay offers a really viable, cost effective alternative for anyone ranging from electronic hobbyist to professional PCB designer. I now let the pictures talk instead of me!

If you are interested in PCBWay, you can register here. Using this link, you will also get a 5 USD coupon like me.

PCBWay - Main page

Attachments

• Order summary.png
    Order summary.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20180413_162445.jpg
    IMG_20180413_162445.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20180413_145845_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180413_145845_HDR.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20180413_145145.jpg
    IMG_20180413_145145.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20180413_145004.jpg
    IMG_20180413_145004.jpg
    868.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20180413_144805.jpg
    IMG_20180413_144805.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20180413_144616.jpg
    IMG_20180413_144616.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Technological process.png
    Technological process.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 147
Review 2.0

Hey guys! It's me again.

I have ordered again from PCBWay, and I'd like to share my experience with them once again. I am actually getting better and better at making PCBs on KiCAD. But without the help of PCBWay, I could design PCBs for years and get nothing in real life. I am still stunned how excellent quality the PCBs are.
This time, I have been making some other circuits, mostly power supplies, but I have also set up a test.
I have made my PCB gerbers again with KiCAD, the free software for the all round PCB design. I have sent to PCBWay the gerbers, and in no time, they replied me that everything was okay once again.
Once I have accumulated enough PCB prototypes, I was ready to order once again... I repeat, every 10 pcs of prototype PCB with dimensions less than 100x100 mm costs 5$.

I ditched the white solder mask, as the last time I ordered it wasn't looking so nice. This time, I was ready to try a new color, the blue one.
So after I placed my order, it took a day for PCBWay to start the manufacturing process. After some days, I checked back to see if everything is alright, and I saw that almost every of my PCBs were ready. After the shipping, the items came in a nice cardboard box. The box was really well packed, and it contained the PCBs in the way I received it last time: had foam padding inside the box, and the PCBs were packed in vacuum sealed bubble wrap.

But let's see what test I made this time!
So I have made a discrete op amp design on a really small PCB. I have made the letters so small, that I was questioning if they could print that small. I attached an image of the actual PCB, the 29mm one. On the close up picture you can clearly read the assignments. It has exceptional quality, as always.
I really have to add one thing here: the blue solder mask is unbelievably beautiful!! I fell in love with it in a moment. I attached some pictures, look at them! The photo doesn't really give it back, but as it has a verrrrry slight green hue, it makes the PCB look like it has a beautiful ocean color. I instantly regretted not asking all my PCBs in this color.
I have been trying out also changing the routing contour. Look at my amplifier PCB attached, where the part of the PCB connecting to the future heatsink has really defined edge, but the other half has rounded corners.

All in all, I can still really recommend PCBWay. It always exceeds my expectations, and they respond really fast to any questions you might have during the manufacturing process. They are just the perfect solution for low quantity prototyping, and their prices are amongst the best! I am really looking forward to trying immersion gold option, as well as ordering larger quantities.
The next thing I'll test on PCBWay how consistent is their quality on different thickness of PCB

Attachments

• IMG_20180529_132734.jpg
    IMG_20180529_132734.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20180529_132848_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180529_132848_HDR.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20180529_133007_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180529_133007_HDR.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20180529_133034_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180529_133034_HDR.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20180529_133238_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180529_133238_HDR.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20180529_133413_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180529_133413_HDR.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 100
Hey guys! It's me again.

I have ordered again from PCBWay, and I'd like to share my experience with them once again. I am actually getting better and better at making PCBs on KiCAD. But without the help of PCBWay, I could design PCBs for years and get nothing in real life. I am still stunned how excellent quality the PCBs are.
This time, I have been making some other circuits, mostly power supplies, but I have also set up a test.
I have made my PCB gerbers again with KiCAD, the free software for the all round PCB design. I have sent to PCBWay the gerbers, and in no time, they replied me that everything was okay once again.
Once I have accumulated enough PCB prototypes, I was ready to order once again... I repeat, every 10 pcs of prototype PCB with dimensions less than 100x100 mm costs 5$.

I ditched the white solder mask, as the last time I ordered it wasn't looking so nice. This time, I was ready to try a new color, the blue one.
So after I placed my order, it took a day for PCBWay to start the manufacturing process. After some days, I checked back to see if everything is alright, and I saw that almost every of my PCBs were ready. After the shipping, the items came in a nice cardboard box. The box was really well packed, and it contained the PCBs in the way I received it last time: had foam padding inside the box, and the PCBs were packed in vacuum sealed bubble wrap.

But let's see what test I made this time!
So I have made a discrete op amp design on a really small PCB. I have made the letters so small, that I was questioning if they could print that small. I attached an image of the actual PCB, the 29mm one. On the close up picture you can clearly read the assignments. It has exceptional quality, as always.
I really have to add one thing here: the blue solder mask is unbelievably beautiful!! I fell in love with it in a moment. I attached some pictures, look at them! The photo doesn't really give it back, but as it has a verrrrry slight green hue, it makes the PCB look like it has a beautiful ocean color. I instantly regretted not asking all my PCBs in this color.
I have been trying out also changing the routing contour. Look at my amplifier PCB attached, where the part of the PCB connecting to the future heatsink has really defined edge, but the other half has rounded corners.

All in all, I can still really recommend PCBWay. It always exceeds my expectations, and they respond really fast to any questions you might have during the manufacturing process. They are just the perfect solution for low quantity prototyping, and their prices are amongst the best! I am really looking forward to trying immersion gold option, as well as ordering larger quantities.
The next thing I'll test on PCBWay how consistent is their quality on different thickness of PCB
Going for their credit for good reviews eh?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.