How to put together a nearfield 'boombox'? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2014, 05:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile How to put together a nearfield 'boombox'?

Hi,

I spend a lot of time listening to music at my desk (at work) out of a commercial boombox/iphone dock - which was very likely designed to fill a room. I'd like some help to design and build a boombox that I can keep close to me,on my desk (not too large), that can be played at low/medium volume, while creating a musical experience, and not fatigue my ear.

I'm not really sure how/where to start, and hope that this community can help me.

- Mat
Old 9th October 2014, 05:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Honestly, I would start and end by getting a good pair of headphones...
Old 9th October 2014, 06:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ha! Yes, but that won't be as much fun. And, I can't sit at my desk with headphones on, my boss will give me the stink eye.
Old 9th October 2014, 06:54 PM   #4
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd like some help to design and build a boombox that I can keep close to me,on my desk (not too large), that can be played at low/medium volume, while creating a musical experience, and not fatigue my ear.
If you want good volume, bass and quality in general for yourself, yet not annoy others, get good headphones as suggested above.

If you want to play at low volume (some will inevitably spread to others, unless you are inside a closed cubicle) and you want to go beyond the typical docking station (2 1/2" speakers inside a shallow plastic box, what were they thinking ? ) you can build yourself a small stereo amp, say a 15+15W 2 x TDA2030 or some of the EBay similar analog or digital ones, and drive a couple small but decent "real" Hi Fi speakers.

A small bookshelf speaker with even 4" woofers and soft dome tweeters will be miles ahead from the synthetic ear tiring sound of most docking stations.
Old 9th October 2014, 07:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I agree, I would build a small pair of speakers like Paul Carmody's Speedsters. I'd love a pair of those on my desk at work.

If it has to be in a boombox format, you can change the shape of the enclosure as long as the woofers still see the same total volume. Purists might complain about baffle step compensation when changing the shape of the baffle, but meh.
Old 9th October 2014, 07:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I do have an office, but enjoy listening at moderate to low volumes (yawn).

I'd like to minimize components if possible; could I use a (pair of?) full range driver to do the trick? Ideally I'd like to have everything packaged in a relatively small box, that can sit neatly on my desk.
Old 12th October 2014, 02:25 PM   #7
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

It's your choice.
But any "real" speaker will be an iimprovement over typical dockstations.
That said, a small woofer, tweeter and prewired crossover can be bought as a kit, you only build the cabinet , and is almost as simple as a full range speaker.

You can integrate everything into a single ... er .... boombox sized cabinet

And don't need to get fancy with the cabinet ... I made something like you need into a simple , butt jointed, MDF cabinet and left it unfinished.
I might paint it flat black so it ... ummmm .... "disappears into the background" .

Carry it everywhere to amplify my MP3 player , smartphone, small TV, you name it.
Doesn't really take up desk space because since I made it roughly notebook size but just 4" tall, I can just stack the usual clutter on top of it ... or the actual notebook

Hide this!Advertise here!