Fake 2n5457?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got some 2n5457...first glance they look bad, printing is sloppy and the faces look like they have been sanded down. They are dull and a different sheen then the rest of the body/case.

I tested them measuring the voltage across a 10 ohm resistor. Looks like they are putting out about .1ma IDSS. Minimum spec is 1ma for this device.

What do you think? Fake?

Attachments

• 20141001_204934_resized.jpg
    20141001_204934_resized.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 20141001_205025_resized.jpg
    20141001_205025_resized.jpg
    620.1 KB · Views: 136
Probably: the Idss is way out of spec, to a point that leaves little doubt (is your 9V battery OK?)

That said, I generally tend to prefer low Idss devices in many applications: they have a lower Vp, allowing them to operate on lower voltages, they use less power when HF or VHF operation is not required, etc.

It was a brand new battery...i tested a known good 2sk170 in the same setup. It measured as expected.

I guess i will have to look for new 2n5457s. Something is wrong with the world when you have to fake a 50 cent part.

I got lucky on one batch with sanded faces and was able to determine the original part, so got my money back. I'm amazed that such poor remarking is even sold. they must know it it so easily noticed.

Not to wander too far from the topic here but yes, amazingly enough even the lowly staple can be produced with such poor quality as to be useless.

Also I recently bought some garden sprinkler PVC plastic pipe "T" fittings and noticed the overall length was considerably shorter than the ones being cut out and replaced, to the point where I was questioning if there was enough for a quality glue joint to be produced. Cheaper, cheaper seems to be the way. :confused:

A few staple reviews below. There were no good reviews for this brand.

Poor quality
Cons:*Quality, Jams
They bend and get stuck very often.

awful if you staple a lot
Pros:*Value for Money
Cons:*Quality, Performance
sometimes they work, but rarely

Sad staples
Staples jam in multiple staplers that were fine before.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.